No rumba nyc?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

No rumba nyc?

Postby pcastag » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:16 pm

Went by the spot yesterday about 430' lots of Latinos hanging out, no drumming? Anybody know what's up? Weather up here is perfect right now , just beautiful! Don't know what's going on, last year it was happening.
PC
pcastag

Re: No rumba nyc?

Postby jorge » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:49 pm

What spot did you go to? We had a great rumba in Central Park yesterday, from about 5:30 to 10pm by the lake at around 72nd St. level. Most of the regulars were there plus Joaquin Pozo came and played a lot, Nicky Laboy, some great drummers. We should be there next Sunday too if it doesn't rain.

Come to the midnight rumba Thursday night. It is every Thursday night at the Zinc Bar, 82 W. 3rd St. between Thompson and Sullivan streets in Manhattan. 212 477-9462. Nearest subway stop at W. 4th St / 6th Ave (A,B,C,D,E,F,M), also Bleeker/Lafayette (4,6,B,D,F,M), Broadway/Waverly (N,R), Sheridan Sq (2,3).
This is a great rumba, led by Roman Diaz and Clemente Medina, featuring Joaquin Pozo, Alfredo Diaz (Pescao), Matanzas, Max, Barry, Chino, Onel and friends. One set, starts at midnight, usually goes until 1:30 or so, $10 admission. It is not really an open rumba unless someone knows you.
Last week Joaquin could not come but Pedrito Martinez came and sang and played with us almost the whole set.
jorge

Postby pcastag » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Going Thursday for sure, I guess I got there Before the rumba happened, we headed over to the Lincoln center for the spiritual drums thing, pretty cool, Romans group with Pedrito played some guiro, bata and abakwa which I'd never seen before live. They even had an ireme Pretty hip stuff. Sad I missed the rumba, I thought it would start earlier in the day caught it last year right before a big downpor hit, weather has been great this year.Guess ill have to get my fix at the zinc bar!
PC
pcastag

Postby Quinto Governor II » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:50 am

I was in New York Sunday, and had a chance to check out the Rumba for the first time. I thought I would miss it also, as we got there about 6:00 and nothing was happening, and we saw no drums. The drums finally arrived and shortly after, the rumba was on. Nothing like seeing and hearing it in person. Here is some video I took. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfebQJBO ... L2swmxt-DQ
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby jorge » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 am

QG thanks for posting that rumba on YouTube. Yeah, Viejo didn't get there with the drums until almost 7. That's Ivan on clave and singing, Reynaldo singing (with light hat), Matanza on cajon and tumbador, Viejo then Raul on quinto and me on tres dos. Did you get any video of the great columbia we did earlier with Pupy on cajon and tumba? Nice rumba last Sunday but not one of our best.
If you can get to the Zinc Bar tomorrow night at midnight, or any Thursday night in Sept and Oct, THAT is a killer rumba. Roman Diaz (leader), Clemente Medina, Joaquin Pozo, Matanza, Pescao singing with Barry and Max and sometimes Chino. I usually play tres dos or guagua. Some great rumberos come and sit in, last week Pedrito Martinez, Reynaldo and Jainardo Batista sang and played with us, other guests have included Diosvany Valladares, Camilo Molina, Tito Sandoval, John Benitez (he plays nice tumbador), and a few others. We are trying to get a better time slot but for now, it starts at 12 midnight and goes til 1:30 am, just one set so don't be late. The good news is no traffic on the Turnpike back to Baltimore at 3 am!
jorge

Postby KidCuba » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 am

Thanks for the video.

Also, interesting videos with you playing all the parts to rhythms. How did you go about producing those?
Triple Pulse Conga Practice- http://www.larumbero.com
KidCuba

Postby Quinto Governor II » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Jorge, Thanks for the info on the rumbas. If I get up there again, I'll be asking you where the rumbas are taking place. Here is the video of the columbia. It begins at about 8:10 into the video. I didn't recognize it as a columbia. Watched the video again and noticed the change in the cata pattern @ about the 8:10 point. You said not one of the better rumbas, but you all played great to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8lwWRJT ... L2swmxt-DQ

KidCuba, I use Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013 recording software. Purchased at Best Buy. Caught it on sale for $50.00. There are other software you can use. Just look for picture-in-picture capability in the specs.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby jorge » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for posting that. It is a guaguanco all the way through, no columbia in that clip. I think the columbia was after that. I am playing guagua on that song. That guagua part (after 8:10) can be played in guaguanco as well as columbia and other rhythms. I switched guagua parts because the guy next to me playing clave (foreground blue hat at 8:10) was playing so sloppy it was impossible to lock in with him and it sounded bad. I was trying to give him the clave part but he was just too sloppy and it didn't get much better. The park is the park. The song finally died when the tres dos player changed and crossed the clave and wouldn't change back.
jorge

Postby Derbeno » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Noticed exactly what you said listing to it all the way. Nevertheless the singing and the energy was good, the dancers and bystanders were enjoying it.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Quinto Governor II » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:51 pm

Hey jorge,
Didn't find video of that columbia you mentioned, but do have audio of it recorded on an mp3 player. You are right about it being a great one. All of the video I took that day is on youtube . Here is the link to the audio of that Columbia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_zHX5x ... L2swmxt-DQ
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby jorge » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:23 am

Yeah, that's it, the rumba columbia. Raul on quinto, Pupy on tumbador and cajon and me on tres dos, Zambi singing lead and playing clave (white Nike hat). Pupy is a great tumbador on columbia, unfortunately the cajon was a real small commercial tres dos raspadura cajon and you can't really hear the bass notes well but with a bigger cajon he really makes it sing. I have never seen a video of Pupy playing before. You got it on #6 of 9, that is the columbia. Pupy comes to the park a lot but plays maybe one columbia all afternoon, always kicks ass, always loves what he is playing, and always draws a crowd when he plays. Just don't cross the clave or drop a beat! That is the only video I have ever seen of him playing. I have never seen him play quinto, tres dos or tumbador on guaguanco but he is a master of the columbia and has an energy like no one else when he plays. Thank you for posting both the video and the audio.
jorge

Postby TONE74 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey Jorge!! Hope you are doing good. I'm out of topic but wanted to know how long the Central Park Rumba goes on for? Is there an end date or just depends on the weather?
TONE74

Postby Quinto Governor II » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 pm

jorge wrote:Yeah, that's it, the rumba columbia. Raul on quinto, Pupy on tumbador and cajon and me on tres dos, Zambi singing lead and playing clave (white Nike hat). Pupy is a great tumbador on columbia, unfortunately the cajon was a real small commercial tres dos raspadura cajon and you can't really hear the bass notes well but with a bigger cajon he really makes it sing. I have never seen a video of Pupy playing before. You got it on #6 of 9, that is the columbia. Pupy comes to the park a lot but plays maybe one columbia all afternoon, always kicks ass, always loves what he is playing, and always draws a crowd when he plays. Just don't cross the clave or drop a beat! That is the only video I have ever seen of him playing. I have never seen him play quinto, tres dos or tumbador on guaguanco but he is a master of the columbia and has an energy like no one else when he plays. Thank you for posting both the video and the audio.

Thank you! for pointing out that video for me. I remember one session the camera was not recording, when I went to turn it off, and thought the Columbia may have been what I missed. My computer speakers don't produce the best sound, and didn't hear the conversation of the drums. The clave should have tipped me off, but maybe the rumbera dancing may have through me off. I can see what you are saying about Pupy. I remember watching in amazement as he was playing.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby jorge » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 am

TONE74 wrote:Hey Jorge!! Hope you are doing good. I'm out of topic but wanted to know how long the Central Park Rumba goes on for? Is there an end date or just depends on the weather?

Really depends on the weather more than the date. It gets kind of iffy as the temp goes down to highs in the low 60s or below.
Come to the midnight rumbas every Thursday night through October at the Zinc Bar. Way better than Central Park. We will also be playing at the Puffin Cultural Forum in Teaneck on Sunday afternoon Oct 13, 2-4 pm. I will post the flyer when it comes out.
jorge

Postby TONE74 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for the info, will look into it...
TONE74

Return to Open Discussion