set up for 4 congas

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

set up for 4 congas

Postby Ducati » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I am currently playing 1quinto / 1conga/1 Tumba ... I would like to add a fourth drum . I play at church which consist of light rock music . I also enjoy playing latin jazz . I would like your opinion on choosing the correct fourth drum . personally i thought adding another conga would complete the set up. Please advise...
Thanks, Rob
Ducati

Re: set up for 4 congas

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Too easy, segundo first, or salidor second. Try to envision what you want to hear pitchwise and go there. Make sure that you are getting as many sounds out of one drum first. Putting the other drums in another room if you have to and just playing one drum occasionally is a good thing to do. Try it with the tumba and you just might be amazed at what you can get out of it and how versatile a single tumba can be by itself.
roberthelpus

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:23 pm

^^^ I completely agree. Also with the tumba - lots of dynamic range in those drums!

then set your quinto aside (if you haven't already) as a tone drum and use one of the salidor's as your center drum 8) this will push your technique a bit at first and will then lead to being able to play with less effort and more dynamic range on the conga/center drum.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby roberthelpus » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:57 pm

If for some weird reason I had to be limited to just one conga, desert island or crazy new homeland security law, I would definitely go with a tumba.
roberthelpus

Postby congamyk » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:33 am

Your church must have a huge stage?

Why do you want to add a 4th conga?
Do you play and already have timbales? Bongo? Shekere? Cajon? Djembe? etc?

If your worship group is playing mostly light rock, it seems like some other sounds/textures could be incorporated before adding a 4th conga.
Just my opinion.
congamyk

Postby 11am » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:51 am

If your playing light rock music, you already have one drum to many. 3 and 4 congas are soloing set ups, or riser fillers at stadiums.
11am

Postby Derbeno » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Or 'look at me, I can play 4" :D

Perish the taught of the humping them around and getting the tuning right.

Two will do just fine in most situations. But if 4 is really what you desire go for it....
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to Open Discussion