In case you wondered...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

In case you wondered...

Postby roberthelpus » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 pm

..where all of those "junior congas" go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3uI4hIWhk

They're all in the D.C. area. :D
roberthelpus

Re: In case you wondered...

Postby Derbeno » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 am

Ah yes, smackin' dem Kongas. Karate chops and all!
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 am

It's definitely a coherent style and tradition.

Kind of wears you out watching it. All that extra motion and they sure smack 'em hard.
roberthelpus

Postby buckoh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Couldn't waste 28 minutes on that crap! All I can say is GO TO CUBA!
buckoh

Postby roberthelpus » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Fine if you don't want to watch it but they are doing what they want to do and have no need to "go to Cuba." You don't have to like it but that doesn't mean that they should do what you want them to do.
roberthelpus

Postby buckoh » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Oh, I don't think they're going to do anything I do. I don't want them to do what I do. I put them in the same category as the (usually a dude) person that approaches me while I'm playing and says "hey, I kin play 'dem bongos!" At this point in life I don't suffer fools politely.
buckoh

Postby bongosnotbombs » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:13 pm

buckoh wrote:Couldn't waste 28 minutes on that crap! All I can say is GO TO CUBA!

Don't you mean GoGo to Cuba?
bongosnotbombs

Postby pcastag » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 pm

buckoh wrote:Oh, I don't think they're going to do anything I do. I don't want them to do what I do. I put them in the same category as the (usually a dude) person that approaches me while I'm playing and says "hey, I kin play 'dem bongos!" At this point in life I don't suffer fools politely.

You should listen to some go go music. DC created its own groove and own sound and its still going strong. I love the fact that they brought percussion to the forefront of the groove.
PC
pcastag

Postby roberthelpus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:06 am

I was surprised to learn that Go Go actually had it's beginnings in the 60s. Hey, it's for real live music being played by people. They could just use drum machines and sequencers and autotune the crap out of it like so much stuff that is out there today.
roberthelpus

Postby buckoh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 am

I used to play with a real good drummer that was from DC and had played in lots of Gogo bands. Aside from a few Chuck Brown songs, I don't care much for the music. The conga playing is a lot of bling and not much substance. Most of the playing on that video sounded the same and it all just ran together. They have no connection to anything Cuban and, after all, the conga is a Cuban instrument.
buckoh

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 am

All those LPs they are playing are actually SE Asian instruments :wink: :D
roberthelpus

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:52 pm

roberthelpus wrote:All those LPs they are playing are actually SE Asian instruments :wink: :D

Don't be a troll, congas originated in Cuba, and they are considered Cuban percussion no matter where they are made.
bongosnotbombs

Postby pcastag » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 pm

Yes they are, and people play funk on them, and venezuelan music on them, and cumbias on them etc. etc. etc. Drumset is an american instrument and people play brazillian rhythms on them, and cuban rhythms on them etc. etc. etc. Just becuase go-go music isn't cuban doesn't mean the dudes aren't rockin the pocket when they are throwing down. Now if you don't like it that's fine, but there's no denying that the folks in DC created a unique genre all their own that has been pretty enduring.
PC
pcastag

Postby CongaTick » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 pm

I like so many different percussive explorations and Go Go is just another. There's a lot of it I like and appreciate. One of the things I don't think too much of, is the Conga snob who only believes in the purity and sanctity of folkloric traditional Afro-Cuban rhythms, to the exclusion of appreciating other expressive uses of this wonderful instrument. All deference and respect to the pros on this forum and their craft and love for Cuban music. I open to all of it. Just sayin...
CongaTick

Postby Quinto Governor II » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 pm

buckoh wrote:I used to play with a real good drummer that was from DC and had played in lots of Gogo bands. Aside from a few Chuck Brown songs, I don't care much for the music. The conga playing is a lot of bling and not much substance. Most of the playing on that video sounded the same and it all just ran together. They have no connection to anything Cuban and, after all, the conga is a Cuban instrument.

"Most of the playing on that video sounded the same and it all just ran together."

QG wrote:

I think there is as much variation in those solos as there are in salsa or rumba solos. I think you may be biased against the music itself, and you are discounting the conga playing. To me all rock guitar solos sound the same, but that is only because I don't like the music enough to listen enough and close enough to hear and appreciate the subtle differences. BTW what do you mean by "bling"?
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Next

Return to Open Discussion