Conga or Tumba?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Conga or Tumba?

Postby torpedo tom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:42 am

If you have a three drum set, quinto, conga and tumba, and are going to add another drum, which one? Conga or tumba is the best and most desireable?
torpedo tom

Re: Conga or Tumba?

Postby Kaban » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:15 am

From past threads, it seems to be a personal choice.
Kaban

Postby joaozinho » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:39 pm

The conga have more tone range,so it's more versatil,but will never have the bass deep sound of a good tumba,not easy to decide :?
joaozinho

Postby KING CONGA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Another conga for sure.
Cheers.
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby rhythmrhyme » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm

My favorite 4 drum combo has turned out to be 2 congas and 2 tumbas. sometimes I'll switch out one of the tumba's with a "super" tumba, but the 2 congas are the steady core.

When I first started playing I used the quinto as my center drum and got really used to all my fast technique on that drum. It took a bit to transfer that all to a slightly larger conga, but the conga has so much more dynamic range than the quinto. After I got used to it I have found going back to playing on the quinto to feel just weird. The conga is also more relaxed to play with the bigger surface area. My technique needs to be tighter, but once I got it dialed in I can play with less effort as the conga also projects better in the mid ranges.

I don't play congas for a living though, I'm sure there are some pro's on the board with more specific advice.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby vinnieL » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm

IF you have a quinto,conga,tumba I would add another conga for sure. There are fewer players playing quinto in the middle today.
vinnieL

Postby pcastag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 pm

I'd go tumbabig drums are in now, lots of people play tumba tumba.
PC
pcastag

Return to CongaSet and accessories