2 Matt Smith Ritmos Compared w/ 2 Manito Congas Pt.#1&2

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

2 Matt Smith Ritmos Compared w/ 2 Manito Congas Pt.#1&2

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:44 pm

This is another informal comparison of me playing my Matthew Smith Ritmos walnut conga and tumba back to back with my new Manito Percussion red ambrosia maple solid shell conga and tumba. Part#1. To follow is a 3 drum comparison that will also include my 3 Spirit In The Wood solid shell conga drums as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dP6rN9dL0U&feature=youtu.be
Attachments
2013-06-29 07.30.43.jpg
2013-06-30 09.02.12.jpg
Last edited by Mr.Rumba on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr.Rumba

Re: 2 Matt Smith Ritmos Compared w/ 2 Manito Congas

Postby vinnieL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

oth sound beautiful and look the part my prefernce in sound goes to the Ritmo Matt Smith.
vinnieL

Re: 2 Matt Smith Ritmos Compared w/ 2 Manito Congas

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 pm

vinnieL wrote:oth sound beautiful and look the part my prefernce in sound goes to the Ritmo Matt Smith.

Thanks for your opinion :) What do you think of the Spirit In The Wood? I added them to this next demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3heO8GEdn90&feature=youtu.be
Attachments
2013-06-30 09.01.24.jpg
2013-06-30 09.01.35.jpg
2013-06-30 09.02.42.jpg
Mr.Rumba

Re: 2 Matt Smith Ritmos Compared w/ 2 Manito Congas Pt.#1&2

Postby vinnieL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 pm

wow I love he sound of the spirit in the woods my pesonal favorite but you know how that goes everybody has a different opinion on what they like to hear but my favorite sound is the spirit in the woods
vinnieL

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:34 pm

vinnieL wrote:wow I love he sound of the spirit in the woods my pesonal favorite but you know how that goes everybody has a different opinion on what they like to hear but my favorite sound is the spirit in the woods

Thanks Vinnie, I think they all have unique sound qualities and are GREAT drums but it is like fine wine, what's your taste? :)
Attachments
Spirit & Manito chaboogie.jpg
Manito Percussion & Spirit In The Wood solid shell one piece congas
Mr.Rumba

Postby vinnieL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:51 pm

That is one heck of a collection you have. Congrats
vinnieL

Postby Thebreeze » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:31 am

I like the spirit in the woods as well, but I guess mainly because you have the Tumba tuned lower on those which sounds better to me.
Thebreeze

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:43 am

Thebreeze wrote:I like the spirit in the woods as well, but I guess mainly because you have the Tumba tuned lower on those which sounds better to me.

I will try and get the tuning closer next time. I thought I had it then you start playing and it drops. Thanks for your feedback :)
Mr.Rumba

Postby salzfaas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:10 pm

Very interesting ,thank you micheal
I think the Manito quinto sounds a bit pinched in sound but has fuller bass response, The Ritmos have an airy sound sort of open but lacking in bass on the quinto but tuning wise better.The Spirits are very equal sounding like the skins all match well .the tuning on manito's is a bit "dark" but I like that not quite in tune business.saying all this, a lovely little bouquet here and there ttastes like a little coffee with underpants and a touch of strawberry.........etc
Only us here would we be doing this .....All good fun.....I think its time to go fishing!!!!
salzfaas

Postby Mr.Rumba » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:29 pm

salzfaas wrote:Very interesting ,thank you micheal
I think the Manito quinto sounds a bit pinched in sound but has fuller bass response, The Ritmos have an airy sound sort of open but lacking in bass on the quinto but tuning wise better.The Spirits are very equal sounding like the skins all match well .the tuning on manito's is a bit "dark" but I like that not quite in tune business.saying all this, a lovely little bouquet here and there ttastes like a little coffee with underpants and a touch of strawberry.........etc
Only us here would we be doing this .....All good fun.....I think its time to go fishing!!!!

Thanks for your opinions! Love your descriptions, too!
Mr.Rumba

Postby Psych1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:15 pm

"I think they all have unique sound qualities and are GREAT drums but it is like fine wine, what's your taste?"

I much prefer the older wines from the Bordeaux region. If I had to pick one I would say nothing compares to the Château Margaux. It has an earthy aftertaste that is special and distinct.

Regarding the congas, agree, they all sound great. My impressions are clouded by my knowledge of the makers. My dealings with Matthew have not gone well. I have only dealt with Manito through email but my impression of him is very positive - I will send him some hardware work soon. Conrad made a wonderful bongo for me a few years back. Dealing with him was great! His prices were good and I had some special time and shipping constraints that he was able to work with. But, again, they all sound super. Thanks for taking the time to do the clips.
Psych1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 am

Psych1 wrote:"I think they all have unique sound qualities and are GREAT drums but it is like fine wine, what's your taste?"

I much prefer the older wines from the Bordeaux region. If I had to pick one I would say nothing compares to the Château Margaux. It has an earthy aftertaste that is special and distinct.

Regarding the congas, agree, they all sound great. My impressions are clouded by my knowledge of the makers. My dealings with Matthew have not gone well. I have only dealt with Manito through email but my impression of him is very positive - I will send him some hardware work soon. Conrad made a wonderful bongo for me a few years back. Dealing with him was great! His prices were good and I had some special time and shipping constraints that he was able to work with. But, again, they all sound super. Thanks for taking the time to do the clips.

There is a lot to take in account when getting the drums and it is sure nice if you can connect with the maker, it really helps the overall experience! Glad you enjoyed the video and they are fun to make and do.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 am

Mr.Rumba....I have been looking at those two roundish things on top of that one drum and just have to ask what are those?????
Thebreeze

Postby Mr.Rumba » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:31 am

Thebreeze wrote:Mr.Rumba....I have been looking at those two roundish things on top of that one drum and just have to ask what are those?????

Those are giant hard shell gourds, same family as the gourds used to make Chekere's, but larger. They are from Mali, West Africa. They are played by facing one down on top of something soft and you hit the center of it with your fist and the side or top of it with a thin stick like a chop stick. It is used in traditional and popular Malian music. Or they can also be played as a water drum with the smaller one upside down inside the bigger one. The instrument they are resting on is called a dounoun. It part of 3 dounoun drums from the djembe/dounoun ensemble, kenkini, sangban and dununba (lowest mother drum..like the tumba). These drums make the bass line and melody in a traditional djembe ensemble.

This guy is not really a player but you can get an idea of the gourd as a water drum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiIyfvvXDas

This is an improv of a guy playing it as a fisted drum with a rock type of rhythm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJxix72zPI8
Mr.Rumba

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:15 pm

Hey!! that was cool!. Thanks so much for the info and the videos. I never would have guessed it. It made my day.
Thebreeze

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories