COWBELL ON CONGAS

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

COWBELL ON CONGAS

Postby CongaTick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 pm

A little help from forum pros: Interested in any references/links/recommendations/experience to arms,brackets, holders for mounting a cowbell solidly to a conga. Thank you in advance.
CongaTick

Re: COWBELL ON CONGAS

Postby vinnieL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 pm

LP makes the one hook that is used for mounting a microphone it's a hook with a sleeve on it and a butterfly nut to tighten things down perhaps this would be of use to you
vinnieL

Postby vinnieL » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:03 pm

http://www.lpmusic.com/products/subpage/?modelNo=LP971M

Something like this maybe and another rod for the bell
vinnieL

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Ive actually tryed this with LP Claws, work great. Ive used different holders but the LP Claw is one of the best, very sturdy, and most practical because it has more applications.
Good luck.
Cheers
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Although I have to admit I do not use it very often
I found the Meinl lug clamp also very convincing and sturdy.

Looks like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/meinl_clamp.htm

A rod can easily be attached.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby roberthelpus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:34 pm

LP Claws work great for that. If you are handy at all buy the mic. claw as that isn't so easy to make at home. Get a length of 3/8" steel rod from the any hardware store and bend it to what ever shape that you want. I bent mine in a vise after heating the spot where I wanted the bend with a propane torch. Dull red will do it. Slip a piece of pipe over the rod wearing gloves for safety and bend it however you want.

That's what I used for rods on this crazy thing. It would hold 11 bells/blocks before you'd have to start doubling up.

Old CP double conga stand. Piece of pipe with nuts welded on (with holes for bolts opposite) to hold the Z rods in the drilled holes. Bent some hardware store flat stock and drilled appropriate holes to hold the pipe on the stand. Tray was made out of a broken-wheeled two wheel dolly ledge with flat stock for the sides - it lays back at a slight angle and folds up for storage/moving. Stick holder is a spent propane torch bottle. More flat stock drilled, bent, welded as necessary for brackets to hold that on. All nuts and bolts are the same size as the wrenches that I'm already carrying to tune my drums.

Just think what that would cost if you bought similar commercially made stuff.

It's usually overkill, so with a Claw you can throw two bells/blocks on the side of a conga and go to town.

Made two extra rods for the Gibraltar foot pedal bracket too. Damn I wish I still had welding equipment :( Just think of all the crazy stuff I could come up with. :twisted: 8)
roberthelpus

Postby CongaTick » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:53 pm

WOW! As I expected, you forum pros are generous and innovative with great suggestions. Many thanks for taking the time to respond.
CongaTick

Postby Joseph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:53 pm

I have the Meinl Clamp mentioned and I like it a lot for it's versatility.
The LP claw is a specialized lug bolt... it replaces a lug bolt. It is mounted in one place, on one particular drum.
The Meinl can be quickly, and easily and securely changed to different arrangements, on different drums, depending on your setup.

I got one of these when I found myself using sticks to beat out patterns on the side of the shell.
Didn't take me long to realize the shell would take quite a beating unless I adapted.

I play seated, so I like using in in a "low" or "upside down" position, where the bell is mounted almost on the side of the drum.
I don't have to lift or tense my shoulder to beat it out.
The arrangement and motion is very similar to beating on the side of shell, but on bell instead.

They make an "offset rod" accessory the makes for lots of arrangement configurations.
The rod is big enough to hold at least 2 items.

Highly recommend! :D
Attachments
Drum clamp naked.jpg
The offset rod & clamp
Drum clmp high.jpg
High Mount, holding 2 items. For illustration of capabilities
drum clamp low.jpg
Low or "upside down" mount. My arrangement for seated play to simulate shell sticking.
Joseph

Postby roberthelpus » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Joseph, this is the LP claw.

The mic. rod has some damping in it to reduce transmitted vibrations.

The Meinl clamp looks good too and is a little lower in price.
roberthelpus

Postby Joseph » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Oops.
My mistake, I was confusing it with this item.
Joseph

Postby congamyk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 pm

All good ideas.
Last year I tried these and love them. And they were only $14 back then.
They have become so popular that Gon Bops has DOUBLED the price in the last month.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/gon-bops-percussion-mount-for-conga-bongo-or-timbale-tension-rods

congamyk

Postby OLSONGO » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:59 pm

I do not recommend the Lp lug - rod had a conga that came with one, tried it out as a mic holder and the weld didn't hold; so i can imagine a bell being beat on constantly .... very cheesee !
Peace
Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby roberthelpus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:12 am

OLSONGO wrote:I do not recommend the Lp lug - rod had a conga that came with one, tried it out as a mic holder and the weld didn't hold; so i can imagine a bell being beat on constantly .... very cheesee !
Peace
Olsongo

That's a drag. I've had no trouble with the Claw.
roberthelpus

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am

roberthelpus wrote:
OLSONGO wrote:I do not recommend the Lp lug - rod had a conga that came with one, tried it out as a mic holder and the weld didn't hold; so i can imagine a bell being beat on constantly .... very cheesee !
Peace
Olsongo

That's a drag. I've had no trouble with the Claw.

I did: An LP claw I had some time ago broke (!) in the bolt-tensioning area after a couple of times- no sir..
Unfortunately it was not possible to return it. Plus I found the rod LP used back then to smooth, a cowblell would not hold properly.

That is the reason why I switched to Meinl.

Besides, The LP Mini everything rack I own is an entirely different beast - very sturdy, a real hardware workhorse you can rely on 100%! So it is just the LP claw I do not really recommend.
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby OLSONGO » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:13 am

I didn't mean the Claw...is the tention hook I am talking about http://www.lpmusic.com/products/subpage/?modelNo=LP971M What Vinnie posted above.
Peace
OLsongo
OLSONGO

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories