Poncho Sanchez Rediscovered

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Poncho Sanchez Rediscovered

Postby Kaban » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:02 pm

I remember, about ten years ago, getting my first Poncho Sanchez CD, and hating it!I threw it on last night, and it's good music. Maybe, because I have matured not only as a person, but so has my musical taste. I have to admit, I no longer think drum rudiments at lighting speed is musical (it can sometimes), but I now find PS solo's tasteful and artistic.

Anybody like, or hate poncho, or can direct me to what you feel is his best work, as a sideman or leader? Please sound off.
Kaban

Re: Poncho Sanchez Rediscovered

Postby torpedo tom » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I like him and his playing. I may get flamed for this, but he is one of the few "Big Names" that I think I may be able to play like in the future unlike Anga and Mongo.
torpedo tom

Postby Quinto Governor II » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Kaban wrote:I remember, about ten years ago, getting my first Poncho Sanchez CD, and hating it!I threw it on last night, and it's good music. Maybe, because I have matured not only as a person, but so has my musical taste. I have to admit, I no longer think drum rudiments at lighting speed is musical (it can sometimes), but I now find PS solo's tasteful and artistic.

Anybody like, or hate poncho, or can direct me to what you feel is his best work, as a sideman or leader? Please sound off.

QG wrote:

So what sound were you looking for? What artist drew you to the music? Poncho has been the subject of many a thread here. Seems like everyone has an opinion of him. He patterned himself after Mongo, so he can't be all bad.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Quinto Governor II » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:47 pm

torpedo tom wrote:I like him and his playing. I may get flamed for this, but he is one of the few "Big Names" that I think I may be able to play like in the future unlike Anga and Mongo.

QG wrote:

How would you discribe these 2 players style? IMO, If you can play like Poncho, you can play much of what Mongo played.
Yambu
Quinto Governor II

Postby Kaban » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 am

I originally looked into poncho Sanchez just for the simple fact he played congas. JC was the one who educated me to the fact that PS model what Mongo did. Regardless, it's good stuff. The CD I have is El Congero.
Kaban

Postby Gallichio » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:30 am

I have always liked Poncho Sanchez. I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago and to me he was a super nice person. I then attended his master class at the beautiful Ravina here in IL. It was very informative. He is super solid and plays awesome solos. His band is great. I love his albums Afro-Cuban Fantasy and Keeper Of The Flame witch is actually two of his classic albums in one package, Sonando and Bien Sabroso. I would highly recommend all of them. I have never heard a Poncho recording that I did not like.
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Derbeno » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:36 am

Super nice guy. Met him at NAMM a few years ago.

Shame that he chose to copy some of Mongo's solos almost ad verbatim
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:06 am

The ONLY way that Poncho is even close to Mongo is the fact that a good amount of his recorded material, Mongo recorded first. He DOES NOT play like Mongo at all ...similar solos yes..his slap is no where near Mongos' and Mongo never played on artificial drums to give himself a 'larger' sound...Poncho is a good player, he has my respect for keeping the music alive around the world...you can watch any Mongo videos on youtube and see that they play completely different from one another...
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:57 am

I don't see anything wrong in Poncho copying Mongo, he even named his older son Mongo. If you're going to copy, then copy the best and he did. I had the pleasure of staying at Poncho's house in Norwalk for a week in 1990. He is the nicest of guys, a very strong powerful and tasty player. He is not Giovanni, but I take my hat off to him, he has traveled the world and has a very solid band, another thing, he is laughing all the way to the bank. He has made a good living off the conga drum and has been a great provider for his family. Pa' lante Poncho!
Omelenko1

Postby Kaban » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 am

I watched today, PS live at Kimball's East, and a 30 minute Youtube concert; would it be safe to say he got a strong Blues influence?
Kaban

Postby pcastag » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:46 am

I like poncho, simple, tasty, yes He's not the perfect imitation of Mongo, but he sounds good, his solos make sense, a great place to start if you're trying to pick up some licks. Some people forget he cut his teeth playing in Tjaders band for years , after Tjader passed he got pcked up by the same label I think. He dfinitely made the best of it, I like his stuff although I don't listen to it now as much as I used to 15 years ago.
PC
PC
pcastag

Postby 440ranch » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 pm

I saw him in San Antonio a few months ago... Good show.
440ranch

Postby Kaban » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 pm

Sorry, scratch the blues, I think it's a Rhyme and Blues feel to a few of his tunes.
Kaban

Postby tamboricua » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Derbeno wrote:Super nice guy. Met him at NAMM a few years ago.

Shame that he chose to copy some of Mongo's solos almost ad verbatim

Hi guys: in order to be able to "create" and become a great soloist, regardless of your main instrument & the music style you play, you must spend a long time "imitating", "copying", and "studying" the masters. By doing so, you'll develop a better and clearer understanding of what to play, how , when, and why. Eventually you'll develop your "own" voice, sound, and rhythmic vocabulary in order to improvise accordingly. Poncho hasn't been the only one to do so. Check the attached document, it includes several quotes from jazz drumming legend the late Mr. Tony Williams.

Saludos,

JG
Attachments
A Tony Williams lesson .jpg
tamboricua

Postby Derbeno » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:35 am

Imitation is the best form of flattery.
In music most definitely the best way to learn, but eventually I would have thought that the individual will start (by means of natural process) to put his own personality into the solos.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Return to Open Discussion