Can I get sum skinz!

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Can I get sum skinz!

Postby Jose Marquez » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:03 am

Damn, so I just ruined the skin on my Isla tumba. I was practicing and left it tuned up. I left town for a few days and when I returned the skin had cracked! I live in San Diego now and it's currently a little chilly at night and warm in the day. It also didn't help that the drum was left fully exposed by the window to the elements :(

I've had no luck contacting Mario about a new skin. Who do you guys with experience with skins recommend I get a replacement with and what type is best for my tumba?
Jose Marquez

Re: Can I get sum skinz!

Postby Derbeno » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:18 am

Jose, I am also in San Diego..In the end I gave up with hide.
I keep animal skins an on my sets indoors and for gigs I use Nuskyns. They sound just as good and gone is the nightmare trying to tune when playing in the warm late afternoon into the quite cool evenings. I use Conga/Tumba combo.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Jose Marquez » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks bro. Also whats up with the drumming community in SD, is there one to check out?
Jose Marquez

Postby Derbeno » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:40 am

It's kinda splintered. The Cubans I hang out with should re-start their regular Rumba in Mission Bay soon now the weather is better. I will ping you once they are going.

Juan Carlos (JC) also has a dance class in North park on Saturdays, you could sit in with congas or bells. In my opinion one of the best ways to learn the folkloric stuff, I am out of town at the moment and will return soon. I will check it out and let you know.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby Jose Marquez » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks for the info, def keep me posted. I'd like to get more involved.
Jose Marquez

Return to CongaSet and accessories