LP Original Fiberglass Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

LP Original Fiberglass Congas

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Something to think about and coming from the horse's mouth. LP fiberglass congas were not 28" tall from the get go,
a simple mistake by the molding facility had a profound effect on latin dance bands.

<<LP's Original Fiberglass Congas were 30 inches tall. One day somewhere around 1970 the molder delivered a shipment of drum shells and upon close inspection they were found to be two inches shorter than usual. When I complained to the owner of the molding facility, I was told that I had better accept the drums or they would stop doing business with me. Much to my surprise and delight, these shorter drums proved to be more comfortable for the seated player. From that day on 28 inches became the standard for Latin dance bands. Bands of all types followed. It wasn't until dance band conga drummers began using stands that a 30 inch tall drum found acceptance in this arena.>>

http://www.congahead.com/legacy/secrets.html
RitmoBoricua

Re: LP Original Fiberglass Congas

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Yup - 28" may be OK if you're about 5'10", but IMHO if you're over 6' they SUCK (for me at least). I end up playing with my knees around my chin (an exaggeration of course) and need a really short stool to get the right playing position. Even with a 30" drum I'm better able to get the right position when they're in stands.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Return to CongaSet and accessories