Gon Bops Universal Conga Risers

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: Gon Bops Universal Conga Risers

Postby CongaTick » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 am

11AM Thanks. Name of the band is The BROOZERS
http://www.reverbnation.com/thebroozers
and I've been with them since early 09. ReggaeFunkRockFusionFUN. Here's more playing with them and others using the Playtz http://www.reverbnation.com/flingel
Of course Cajon CarryALL makes perfect sense. Always thought that with an insert to protect the head from inside, a CONGA could also be used as a space-saver way to stow gear for transport.
CongaTick

Postby 11am » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:Nice cajon. I may embark on a cajon making adventure later on this year.
Perhaps one day you can give us a tutorial on how to make your own cajon,
I will be interested.I see that LP/CP drum with traditional hardware doing
double duty too. I see the lamp on top of the drum so I assume the drum
when not being played is part of the decor.

You assume correctly, Brother. All of my lamp/end tables throughout the house are congas. Even the CP's have been used on recordings, ( And sound good, too) I have always played the same 1971 LP palisades until recently, but the glass gets beat to shit over the years, so I'm driving the restored Gon Bops these days. I like them alot.
11am

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:21 pm

11am wrote:You assume correctly, Brother. All of my lamp/end tables throughout the house are congas. Even the CP's have been used on recordings, ( And sound good, too) I have always played the same 1971 LP palisades until recently, but the glass gets beat to shit over the years, so I'm driving the restored Gon Bops these days. I like them alot.

Nothing wrong with them older CP congas with traditional hardware.
Perhaps is time to take them good old Palisades Park congas to the
auto body shop for some fresh coats of "metalflake". Them vintage Gon
Bops are some major league congas too. You have a nice stable.
RitmoBoricua

Postby 11am » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:07 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:
11am wrote:You assume correctly, Brother. All of my lamp/end tables throughout the house are congas. Even the CP's have been used on recordings, ( And sound good, too) I have always played the same 1971 LP palisades until recently, but the glass gets beat to shit over the years, so I'm driving the restored Gon Bops these days. I like them alot.

Nothing wrong with them older CP congas with traditional hardware.
Perhaps is time to take them good old Palisades Park congas to the
auto body shop for some fresh coats of "metalflake". Them vintage Gon
Bops are some major league congas too. You have a nice stable.

I hear you Bro, But i got this idea for one set of my blacks, gonna be my summer restore. On my original bronze palisades, thats another story. I have never seen another LP with this color, and I bought them new in 71. My biggest regret is that i sold the tumba, for some dumb ass reason, in 72 and when I realalized my mistake, I was on tour in Hawaii, I actually located it, told the store owner to hold it, got back to pick it up, and he had just sold it. I regret that to this day
22.jpg
the only pic of that tumba, still have the quinto and conga
11am

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm

I am looking for a vintage LP fiberglass tumba myself. I love that sparkle/metalflake
finish on them fiberglass congas, like you I have some ideas for some refurbish projects.
I see on the picture you had some LP timbales too.
RitmoBoricua

Postby 11am » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I am looking for a vintage LP fiberglass tumba myself. I love that sparkle/metalflake
finish on them fiberglass congas, like you I have some ideas for some refurbish projects.
I see on the picture you had some LP timbales too.

Yeah, I did back in the day, but i went back to my Rogers brass. I liked the fact that you can tune them with a drum key, rather than a wrench. That was my biggest concern, they ( the LP's) sounded fine. Still have my Rogers too! They've become real collectors items. LOL
11am

Previous

Return to CongaSet and accessories