Gon Bops Universal Conga Risers

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Gon Bops Universal Conga Risers

Postby Derbeno » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:37 am

Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Re: Gon Bops Universal Conga Risers

Postby CongaTick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Wait....$50 for 3 thingees to raise my congas an inch off the floor? You gotta be kiddin' me. Make yer own "risers"!
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

CongaTick wrote:Wait....$50 for 3 thingees to raise my congas an inch off the floor? You gotta be kiddin' me. Make yer own "risers"!

No kidding and I guess the (3) pack only raises one drum if you play
more than one drum like most of us do we are talking about over
a $100 easy. The ones on the main drum cannot last too long,
they have to crack under all the pounding pressure.I have never
needed risers and I play seated.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Derbeno » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:18 pm

CongaTick wrote:Wait....$50 for 3 thingees to raise my congas an inch off the floor? You gotta be kiddin' me. Make yer own "risers"!

ROTFLMAO...You guys crack me up :lol:
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby 11am » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:33 am

I have always played seated, one thing I found useful is that if the stage is carpeted, go ask the waitress, manager or club owner if you can use a few drink serving trays. They come in three perfect sizes for congas. I've had a set for 40 years, and honestly, you don't need anything else to get the drums to cut. if you lose one, pick one up at the next gig :wink:
11am

Postby burke » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:00 pm

There was a post about something similar:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6598&p=66125&hilit=hockey#p66125

As I posted in the above - I used the rubber ends off hockey sticks [ a buck at walmart] to do the same thing as the LP rubber conga risers - they worked but I never bothered to figure out a way to attach them so they didn't fall off when you picked up a drum.

However I could have easily I'm sure ... but I didn't really care enough to pursue it.
Burke
burke

Postby CongaTick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 pm

playt4.jpg
playt4.jpg (32.41 KiB) Viewed 7373 times

playt3.jpg
playt3.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 7373 times

DIY cost: about $5
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:53 pm

I like your concept there, Congatick.You practically bundled a reso-plate,
risers and a microphone holder into one convenient gadget and all for $5.00.
Beautiful...............
RitmoBoricua

Postby 11am » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I like your concept there, Congatick.You practically bundled a reso-plate,
risers and a microphone holder into one convenient gadget and all for $5.00.
Beautiful...............

I like the concept too. I'm a big fan of 2 or 3 for one. The one thing I've found over 40 something years of live playing, is that if I can reduce my carry, I will reduce my carry. ( My days of having a drum roadie are well over) I just built a cajon that doubles as my seat, and percussion storage. Picked up some of those Gator bags that roll, which I give the thumbs up to! I close mic with senhieser clip ons from the top ( small and light) if there is no overhead, and I have to get above the bass and horns. Sound guys love those 57's. I've never really seen or heard any seated players miked from inside, so, that would prove interesting. let us know how that worked out! necessity is the Mother of invention, Nice Idea!
11am

Postby CongaTick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:43 pm

11AM.... been using my DIY CongaPlaytz with built in mic holders for years now and I've found them a superb and easy solution for gigging with amplified bands. Each of my 3 congas has one, my large Remo djembe is miced the same way, while my bongos are mic'ed with a 57 above. All fed into a Tapco 4 channel mixer and out to a 1/4" line into a PA. Soundies love it. Leaves me clear headscapes to play on. AND the Playtz with the mics attached are packed onto my drums and into my PR bags for safe/sound transport. Is there a compromise on sound quality when mic'ing underneath/inside? Probably. I guess if you're a soundie, it might matter. Does it matter to me? In a bar with electric guitars, drumset and the usual horde of thousands of drunken, screaming girls that follow us everywhere we go----nah. I'll try to post a sound or vid sample. However, for accoustic accompaniment or in-studio. I will usually mic from above.
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:19 pm

11AM Here is a SoundCloud clip of a track using CongaPlaytz with mics inside my drums.

https://soundcloud.com/davidnamerow/rai ... er-p022012
CongaTick

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 pm

[quote="11am I just built a cajon that doubles as my seat, and percussion storage.[/quote]

I like that idea too. Why not utilize your seat as another drum
and storage space. Cajon has really taking off.
RitmoBoricua

Postby 11am » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 am

CongaTick wrote:11AM.... been using my DIY CongaPlaytz with built in mic holders for years now and I've found them a superb and easy solution for gigging with amplified bands.

Hey Brother, nice job on the song, did you write it too? The drums seemed to cut through the mix,( and a million screaming chicks) so the mics are doing their job. :D I like that you managed to incorporate the plates into your moving routine. Very important!. Where is the band based out of?
11am

Postby 11am » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 am

RitmoBoricua wrote:[quote="11am I just built a cajon that doubles as my seat, and percussion storage.

I like that idea too. Why not utilize your seat as another drum
and storage space. Cajon has really taking off.[/quote]

Yeah Rit, I twisted this cojon up the other day for about 30 bucks in materials. My percussion bag gave up the ghost after all these years, so, I figured that a cajon is just a box, with a hole in it. So its really a seat and storage box, that triples as a drum :mrgreen:
1.JPG
front
2.JPG
back
3.JPG
open back with tambourine holder
4.JPG
w/ Tambourine in place
MVC-005F.JPG
bottom
11am

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 am

Nice cajon. I may embark on a cajon making adventure later on this year.
Perhaps one day you can give us a tutorial on how to make your own cajon,
I will be interested.I see that LP/CP drum with traditional hardware doing
double duty too. I see the lamp on top of the drum so I assume the drum
when not being played is part of the decor.
RitmoBoricua

Next

Return to CongaSet and accessories