Willie Bobo: King Conga

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Willie Bobo: King Conga

Postby niallgregory » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:35 am

Willie Bobo: King Conga ? Has anyone seen this movie or even heard of it ? Cheers .Niall .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Re: Willie Bobo: King Conga

Postby Gallichio » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:10 am

Here is some info on the DVD. It is in my Netflix Queue.

Willie Bobo.jpeg
DVD
Willie Bobo.jpeg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 8278 times

Latin percussionist Willie Bobo -- whose fiery talents led to collaborations with Tito Puente, Dizzy Gillespie, George Shearing, Cal Tjader and Carlos Santana -- brings his exuberant sound to these two episodes from the early-1980s series "Ad Lib." Tracks include "Bobo's Theme," "Rise," "Thus Spake Zarathustra," "Pisces," "Love's Theme," "A Snort of Green," "Keep That Same Old Feelin'," "Mister Magic" and "Summertime."
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Willie Bobo, in my book, one of the tastiest, best timbaleros that ever lived. His collaboration with Mongo on Cal Tjader's group of the late 50's to early 60's is a phenomemal percussion experience. Second to none.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby Jerry Bembe » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 am

Dario,

I agree 100%. Interestingly, Santana was heavily influenced by that Swedish cat's rhythm section. The San Francisco scene must have been amazing then. I find it ironic that on Cal's "Latin Concert" the cartoon shows the whole band as a group of white guys :? . I started out as a marimba player in a street rumba/percussion band so Cal and the boys are close to my heart. It has not ever been equaled to my knowledge. Please enlighten me if there is any new standard bearers of this caliber.

I have been more influenced by Cal and his band than any other recordings. There was magic in the air then.

Do you have any suggestions for Bogaloo recordings? One of my favorites is El Picito (Joe Cuba's "the whistle").

Jerry
Jerry Bembe

Postby niallgregory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:Willie Bobo, in my book, one of the tastiest, best timbaleros that ever lived. His collaboration with Mongo on Cal Tjader's group of the late 50's to early 60's is a phenomemal percussion experience. Second to none.

Dario

No doubt .But has anyone seen this particular dvd ? Wondering wether its worth spending my € on . Cheers .Niall .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:39 am

Well I can tell you that it was good to see Willie(he was a friend of mine and I played in his band a few times in L.A.) on this 'misnamed' DVD..why they called it King Conga is beyond me..mi pana Victor Pantoja is on conga drums and it's good to see him too..I think there is a video or two from this dvd on youtube...Willie takes a couple of solos just enough to wet your whistle, but not enough for me...Willie was one of my first inspirations on timbales . His solo on the tune Cuban Fantasy from the LATINO album(incredible), Elation and Mamblues are my favorites...I miss u Willie!....JC

Willie Bobo 1.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:15 am

cool jc .gonna get this dvd anyway .was wondering why they called it king conga meself ! :D
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby KING CONGA » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:56 pm

Hey Johnny, what ever happened to Victor Pantoja?
KING CONGA

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 pm

Victor just passed away a few months ago after a huge get well/goodbye jam thrown for him in L.A. all the drummers, names and no names were there...I couldnt make it..he had been getting frail for awhile...he outlived Willie by over 25 years..Willie died from stomach cancer, it was sad to see him like that at the end, but not before for the last time he played the Hollywood bowl Playboy Jazz festival with his son on stage next to him....Victor spent his remaining playing days with my buddy Octavio Figueroa and La Combinacion in Los Angeles alongside "Papo" Rodriguez....
JohnnyConga

Postby Omelenko1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Victor played with Machito among other bands in NYC. He was a founder of AZTECA with the Escovedo brothers in the Oakland area. Like JC said, he recently passed away, around the same time Francisco did.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby 11am » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:Victor played with Machito among other bands in NYC. He was a founder of AZTECA with the Escovedo brothers in the Oakland area. Like JC said, he recently passed away, around the same time Francisco did.

Dario

Mazetlan was one of my favorite songs by Azteca, they were there for a minute, but that one song was really nice, I no longer have it, or have heard it since then, but I remember the lyrics, the intro, and the soul breakdown to this day. Always liked that song. There was another album around at that time called " For those Who Chant" Luis Gasca, I believe. I think Victor played on that too?
11am

Postby 11am » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:00 pm

The other Important piece of music that I attribute Wille BoBo to, was Mongos, Afro Roots. A combination of two releases in 1958. Yambu and ? I forget. He plays a long duet with Mongo on that. That release, IMO was probably the greatest contribution of African and Cuban drumming ever recorded. Mongo's legacy, and my bible for at least 42 years. Everybody played on those sessions, Willie, Francisco, Armando, ...(JC can fill in the rest of the names. ) I dont have the vinyl anymore, but It's on cassette, and Ipod, and always close by.
11am

Postby Omelenko1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Those were 2 vinyls on the Fantasy label "Yambu" and "Mongo" recorded in 1958 and 1959. All those you mentioned are on the albums, also the late Pablo Mozo on palitos (Guagua).
Omelenko1

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:29 pm

On Yambu the personnel on it are: Fransisco Aguabella, Willie Bobo, Israel del Pino,Modesto Duran, Mercedes Hernandez,Al McKibbon, Pablo Mozo, and Carlos Vidal.....on the album MONGO the personnel are: Fransisco, Willie, Juan Cheda,Modesto Duran, Paul Horn(flute), Al McKibbon(bass), Armando Peraza, Emil Richards(marimba-also the GODFATHER OF PERCUSSION), Jerry Rivera and Carlos Vidal(considered to be the first to record Afro-Cuban rhythms in New York city on SMC records)...Once again Mongo is the ONLY conga drummer that brought other drummers together with names to record with him, and helped their careers as well...There will never be another like him...his musical history of over 85 albums(which i have them all, including his first 1952 recording with his first folkloric group, and i must say in mint condition, and signed twice by Mongo himself- :lol: )...Mongo was also signed to no less than 9 different recording contracts in his 40 year career, unmatched today by any artist...there will never be another Willie Bobo...these men had 'personality' that went beyond their playing, Mongo could light up a room with his smile,,never having to say a word and letting his hands do the talking for him..Willie was an 'entertainer' as well as a great timbale player(who I learned from)...nobody today can walk in their shoes with the history THEY created..they were the first to do it, and the ones who did it first get all the credit...Mongo and Willie!..no team like them has ever risen to the top like they did and make musical history, together...Long Live Mongo y Willie!!!...
Mongo and Willie in Tp's band 1950's.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby 11am » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Thank JC for filling in the blanks (of important history) I knew you would. I would love to hear that first folkloric recording from 52. How old was Mongo then? In his 20's?
11am

Next

Return to Open Discussion