splits on LP'S

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

splits on LP'S

Postby joaozinho » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Hello congueros,
I been read in this forum lots of histories about drums issues,like cracks and splits,drums going out of round,and many brands are quote,but I never heard any comments about Lp splits apart.Does anybody have some experience with this.Just curiosity.

Thanks for the comments
joaozinho

Re: splits on LP'S

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:04 pm

They split too like the others with that said I have seen
LP's specially Matador's take abuse like few drums can.
I had a friend after rehearsals just threw his wooden
Matador's in the back of his pick-up truck as hard as he
could; those drums had dents, dings, scratches you name
it but I never saw a single split and sounded good too.
RitmoBoricua

Postby joaozinho » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:34 pm

:D That friend was a real matador :D Yes it seem that Lp really deserve is good reputation on solid drums
joaozinho

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:36 pm

There are plenty of criticism and complaints against LP
but at the end of the day I rather take my Matador to the
park rumba than my boutique drum. LP are workhorses.
RitmoBoricua

Postby pcastag » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:01 am

Yeah, a few splits here and there but not too many. Remember a lot of the drums that need repair are really old and were made basically in a garage ( kind of ) like gon bops and valjes. To me LP are the first truly modern drums in the sense that they are realy mass produced. Solid, but I think a lot of modern drums are as well, meinl, pearl, toca etc.
PC
pcastag

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am

pcastag wrote:To me LP are the first truly modern drums in the sense that they are realy mass produced. Solid, but I think a lot of modern drums are as well, meinl, pearl, toca etc.

Absolutely, another way to look at it is LP pretty much standardized congas, bongo and timbales in the sense that
no matter where you are gigging if the drums you are playing are LP you pretty much know what to expect from the
drums as long as everything is functional. You can be certain that more times than not if you are gigging where you
have to play rentals, them rentals are going to be LP's.

The way I understand it is that the same factory in Thailand may make the drums for all the major companies. So
pretty much they are using the same materials and techniques to make these drums for the big companies. If you
go to Martin Coen Facebook or Congahead web page you will see some interesting photos he took in a drum factory in
Thailand on a recent trip. Also saw our own Mr. Conga in some of them photos that Mr. Coen took on that trip. Perhaps
Mr. Conga has some insight and could shed some light on these drum factories in Thailand.
RitmoBoricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories