Carribean Rhtyhms Congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Carribean Rhtyhms Congas

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:01 am

Is anyone familiar with these drums or had experience playing them or owning them? How do they sound ? I know the bongos were nice, especially the ones that got JCR hardware. These ones are made from barrels. Thanks of your opinions.
Attachments
3L33Jc3o65Ib5Ne5H3d37aaebca7713341181.jpg
Mr.Rumba

Re: Carribean Rhtyhms Congas

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:51 am

I believe some years ago we had member that owned a set of those and had them for sale if I am not mistaken. You may have to search congaplace for that particular thread. There is not really a lot of information available about them, hardware quality is not the best then again the hardware did not have to be heavy gauge since they had goat heads. Nothing fancy, they are more in the crude and rustic side and nothing wrong with that after all that’s the way they built them way back in the day. I owned a set of the oak barrel bongos and to me they are more of a conversation piece than anything. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cx7G4IPQLQ
RitmoBoricua

Postby Mr.Rumba » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:04 pm

RitmoBoricua wrote:I believe some years ago we had member that owned a set of those and had them for sale if I am not mistaken. You may have to search congaplace for that particular thread. There is not really a lot of information available about them, hardware quality is not the best then again the hardware did not have to be heavy gauge since they had goat heads. Nothing fancy, they are more in the crude and rustic side and nothing wrong with that after all that’s the way they built them way back in the day. I owned a set of the oak barrel bongos and to me they are more of a conversation piece than anything. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cx7G4IPQLQ

Thank you very much! That was informative and very helpful as well.
Mr.Rumba

Postby Psych1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:54 pm

I had a set - both 11", and I have a set of the bongos now. I think they are as good as any oak drums and way better than rubber tree plywood drums, The skins were OK too. True the hardware is crappy but it works. Meinl hardware fits perfectly.
Psych1

Postby RitmoBoricua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Psych1 wrote:True the hardware is crappy but it works.

No doubt it works as long as you run heads on the thinner side, if you try to mount thick mule or cowhide say goodbye to the hardware.I have 1 oak caribbean rhythm bongo and 2 mahogany caribbean rhythm bongos all with original hardware except for the lugs. The mahogany bongos sound as good as any bongo on one of them I mounted a not too thick mule on the hembra. The rum barrel oak bongo sound is not too shabby either.Beside you there were another person in this forum at one point that had set that he kind of customized.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Omelenko1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:19 pm

I had a set a few yrs. ago 11 3/4 and 12. The shells were recycled oak wine barrels, the hardware was very crude and inferior. I had some extra Junior Tirado hardware and I replaced the original one with it, it was a tremendous improvement. The shells were quality oak. I eventually sold them. I think I paid $250 for both congas when I bought them.
Omelenko1

Postby Mr.Rumba » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

These are for sale in Boulder for $100. He also has bongos:
http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/3628819393.html
Attachments
3ne3I73L95E45K15Hdd2jf97dbb469a921095.jpg
Mr.Rumba

Return to CongaSet and accessories