UNUSUAL GON BOPS SIDE PLATES/BRACKETS

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

UNUSUAL GON BOPS SIDE PLATES/BRACKETS

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:25 pm

This set of Gon Bops are on ebay for 950 buy it now if interested. They are a matched set except for the side mounting brackets. One of the drums has these side brackets that I have never seen before on a Gon Bops and wondered if anybody knows about these or has seen them? Just curious as this is totally new to me .
Here is the ebay link to these drums...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Gon-Bop ... 257b74107f

Here is a picture of the brackets close up on the drum....

Thebreeze

Re: UNUSUAL GON BOPS SIDE PLATES/BRACKETS

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 pm

I've seen thos brackets before on at least 2 Gon Bops I have. Pretty sure the GB I have now has them too.

If you look at the second to the last page you can see these brackets, or what looks a lot like them on the GB catalog.

http://rumbainstruments.blogspot.com/20 ... talog.html

aren't the brackets the same as these? I can't tell the difference...
Attachments
P1010096_1.JPG
bongosnotbombs

Postby Thebreeze » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 pm

bnb........The picture you just posted were my two Gon Bops quinto and conga. The conga is the same one I sold you a while ago, and then you sold it back to me. Those brackets are not like the one I posted. I tried to look at the catalog on your site but the pictures were too small to tell.
Thebreeze

Postby Psych1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am

I've got mahogany Gon Bops from the 60's through mid 70's. 4 different side plates.
Attachments
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
Psych1

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:17 am

I see that you have those side plates on the conga in your bottom picture. OK, so at least there were some congas out there with these plates on them. It seems to me that Gon Bops only made a few of these otherwise there would be much more of them around. I have seen tons of Gon Bops and these were the first ones I saw like that.
Thebreeze

Postby Bongobilly » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:34 pm

IMG_0529.JPG
My Requnito has the same plate's. And also the stave's have that Valjee cut's in the stave's. (2 from right )
It's Mofongo Time!
Bongobilly

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

Nice set of Gon Bops you have there Bongobilly.. I notice that you have Lug Extenders on your tuning lugs. I like that nice clean look. I might do that one day with some of my drums. I know that Manito Percussion sells them in Stainless Steel, 5 for 20 dollars or 6 for 24 dollars. That's a pretty good deal. Here is a pic from Manito's web site....

Thebreeze

Return to CongaSet and accessories