Crown Position?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Crown Position?

Postby rhythmrhyme » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:07 am

totally keep em finger tight, or even a bit more if you dry them upside down initially to harden up the flesh hoop folds....

not keepin em tight can lead to the dreaded "droop" that will happen just inside the bearing edge around the perimeter of the head. it makes tuning a bear for the first couple months until you oil up that head and get it to "break over" the droop, too many cracking sounds, inconsistent tuning etc. Well worth the extra time of keepin em finger tight (or a quarter turn more) while they dry.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby 440ranch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:20 pm

it makes tuning a bear for the first couple months until you oil up that head and get it to "break over" the droop, too many cracking sounds, inconsistent tuning etc.

The great thing about advice.... One thing always leads to another.

Oil up that head?
Break over the droop?
too many cracking sounds?

The only thing I understand here is "inconsistant tuning"

Please elaborate, RR
440ranch

Postby pcastag » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Oil up as in use some type of natural oil to condition the head, some use manteca de corojo ( red palm oil) other s olive oil. basically put a bunch on, loosen the head and let it sit for two to three days then wipe off excess, or loosen the heads up, oil them and set them in teh sun until the head absorbs the oitl.

The droop refers to the playing surface of the skin actullay settling in below the bearing edge, meaning that to tighten it consitantly and evenly the skin has to "slide " over the edge. I always wax my bearing edge , counter hoops and rims when I tuck a new head so it doesn't "stick " to the metal or the hoop.

Cracking sounds are caused as the skin repositions itself in relation to the bearing edge or the flesh hoop when tightening the drum. Crackety crack!

PC
PC
pcastag

Postby 440ranch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks, great, I'll do that!
440ranch

Postby Marcus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Hey guys,

In all the threads and posts about head dropping/sagging/pooling and such, I saw two items that I am a bit concerned about. First if you turn the conga upside down on a piece of plastic to allow the inside surface to dry faster, then would not the weight of the conga compress the skin on the rim and create its own set of issues? Second, would not it be wise to allow the head to dry evenly by turning the shell on its side and using a fan to give the inside more drying circulation? Got the lug tightening 1/4 + turn every 6 hours or as needed.

I have an idea to use rope-tuned drum rope to mount the crown over the rim and cinch down retying a simple knot gradually bringing the crown into position. This is like the wire or extended lugs mention by other members however there would be no scratching of the shell or scraping of hands. Once the flesh ring and crown is centered as you like it-cinch the rope and tie all the way around little by little until the desired crown mounting height is achieved and then one by one, release the rope and hook the lugs into place for the drying process. Might need some vice grips to pull slightly and loosen the knot for the next cinch and retie.

No scratching with wire or longer lugs from the hardware store. I have plenty of that rope from Drumskulls. Seems like this would work and also be very simple. I have to make the best with my two hands even though there are many times I wished I could temporarily have a few more.

Also when one pulls up on the loose ends of the tucked skin, be careful not to pull too hard and displace a “centered” flesh ring. Did that two weekends ago—heartbreaking!

It is always the finesse issues not applied properly that seems to create the issues such as not quite centered heads and sagging.

Peace, marcus
Marcus

Postby pcastag » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Never caused me any problems.
PC
pcastag

Postby rhythmrhyme » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 am

If your flesh ring pulls out of center, it's probably too small. I yard on my heads pretty hard and so long as the hoops and crowns match, the only thing that will cause movement is if the ring breaks or bends. You do need to keep the crown and head centred in the drum, but that can be adjusted once the first few lugs are set.

If the lugs are a bit longer, like with an SOS conga, all the ropes and wire isn't needed. I can do them on my own in a few minutes. LP's and many other drums with shorter lugs are a little more difficult. I just get a friend to help and it takes about 30 seconds of their time per drum, I just don't have that third hand to push down on the other side while I'm setting the first lug :D I think a simple solution would be an extra long lug to throw in the other side - I just don't have one.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby Marcus » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:35 pm

thanks for the advice,

the ring was a bit bent when I got it back out but I did not remember it being bent on the way in. Anyway pay more attention the next time.

thx, marcus
Marcus

Postby skinslapper » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 pm

rhythmrhyme wrote:If your flesh ring pulls out of center, it's probably too small. I yard on my heads pretty hard and so long as the hoops and crowns match, the only thing that will cause movement is if the ring breaks or bends. You do need to keep the crown and head centred in the drum, but that can be adjusted once the first few lugs are set.

If the lugs are a bit longer, like with an SOS conga, all the ropes and wire isn't needed. I can do them on my own in a few minutes. LP's and many other drums with shorter lugs are a little more difficult. I just get a friend to help and it takes about 30 seconds of their time per drum, I just don't have that third hand to push down on the other side while I'm setting the first lug :D I think a simple solution would be an extra long lug to throw in the other side - I just don't have one.

Ive made long lugs from (don't know the english word ) but its along bar witch has threds along its whole lenght bla bla bla see pic below ... :mrgreen:

skinslapper

Postby 440ranch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Aha! Great idea.
By the way, in English its called threaded rod.
440ranch

Postby skinslapper » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanx 440ranch .
skinslapper

Previous

Return to Open Discussion