Why does pitch change?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Why does pitch change?

Postby downbeat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm

I'll tune my drums when they're resting upright on the floor, but when I tilt my conga for playing, the pitch increases at least a half-step. Then I notice my quinto and tumba will also change when the bottom of the drum is not closed off.

Anyone know why the pitch changes?
downbeat

Re: Why does pitch change?

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:18 pm

You double posted, I answered one in detail, it disappeared.
Google resonant frequency of a cylinder or look it up in a physics book. It is different for a cylinder closed at one end and a cylinder closed at both ends. Partially open at one end the resonant frequency is in between the 2 extremes.
jorge

Postby downbeat » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:27 pm

jorge wrote:You double posted, I answered one in detail, it disappeared.
Google resonant frequency of a cylinder or look it up in a physics book. It is different for a cylinder closed at one end and a cylinder closed at both ends. Partially open at one end the resonant frequency is in between the 2 extremes.

Cool. Thanks! I haven't seen anyone on a video taking advantage of this pitch change while playing. Seems to be pretty repeatable, and easy to simply tilt the drum back and forth when desired.
downbeat

Postby jorge » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:50 pm

Much more common to see people raising the drum with their knees to bring out a much stronger bass. Muffs raise the tones similar to tipping the drum and are easier to do quickly. Also very few people actually play the main conga flat on the floor, the tones just don't project, so we generally play with the drum tipped already. Tune the drums in the positions they will be when you play.
jorge

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Around minute 1:10 u can hear and see how i raise and lower the drum and how the sound changes...Jorge is correct in saying to 'tip' the drum a bit forward to hear the sound of the drum come out from the bottom...

http://youtu.be/GUSlicDnqIA
JohnnyConga

Return to Open Discussion