Help... please.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Help... please.

Postby justin30 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 am

I'm sorry to bother everyone, but I have a question and hope someone can help...
I have played guitar for 16 years, but drums? Never. Anyway, I've decided I want to play congas. I've also realized I cannot afford a nice SET of congas. I have however found a good deal on an LP Matador quinto ($120 US). So, I'm just wondering how much I can learn on a single drum. And if it wouldn't be bad to start with a single drum, would a quinto specifically be a bad choice? Or should I choose a different size? I would appreciate any help here, as I am completely clueless when it comes to drums.
justin30

Re: Help... please.

Postby Gallichio » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:52 am

Welcome To The World Of Drumming.

I think it would be great! Most people start with the Conga size but you can tune a Quinto down to play in a lower sound range. You can learn a great deal from using one drum. Less to cary to a gig and less expensive. In fact It might be better for you. You can learn how to strike the drum to produce all the sounds, Rhythms, and a ton more on just one drum. You could spend years studying on one drum. In the future you could add more drums if your heart is still in it. Years ago that is all the conga player used, one drum. Have fun enjoy your journey and don't worry about having more drums they like your skill will come in time.

Enjoy!
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:01 pm

I second Gallichio. No doubt a good choice not to mention a very fare price on a descent drum. You are making the right choice.
By the way, welcome to the forum justin30.
KING CONGA

Postby CongaTick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Welcome!!! And DEFINITELY learn to play one drum. The others are icing on the cake.
CongaTick

Postby jorge » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Learning for your first few years on a single drum would be time well spent. After 40 years playing I still practice on one drum most days, and at rumbas I usually play one drum. Practicing on a single drum helps you get clearer, cleaner sounds out of the drum and helps you learn your technique better. If you can really play one drum, playing 2 is a pretty easy transition, and learning to play 3, 4 or 5 goes much quicker. Many people I have heard playing 3 or more drums don't know how, and you can tell they never really learned how to play one drum. Probably 95% of the work and skill is in learning to play one drum well. Unless your hands are really small, I would not recommend a quinto as your first drum. There is not enough room to play all the sounds comfortably and cleanly and develop the best technique. Get a conga, between 11.5" or 11 3/4". Investing your money in one good drum (Matadors are good, I just don't recommend getting a quinto first) and a good teacher would be a much better strategy in the long run than buying 2 drums now.
jorge

Postby justin30 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Hey, thanks a lot for all of your time and welcoming me to your forum. All of your info has been a BIG help. Definitely saved me some time, and pointed me in the right direction. I'm just happy to hear I can get on board with the conga and start learning with a single drum. I don't think the people in this house will be as happy with the news though... ha ha. Hope to talk to you guys in the future. Thanks again and best wishes to all of you. -Justin
justin30

Return to Open Discussion