Need help tuning new drums

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Need help tuning new drums

Postby mojo4395 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:57 pm

I just bought a set of Meinl Headliner congas (11" and 12") and bongos. I have set of Toca Players Series (10" and 11") that I got used that were already "tuned" when I got them (I just detuned them about 1 turn on each lug after playing and retuned them when starting again, making sure that the drum sounded even at each lug). Anyways, I'm not sure how much I should "tune up" my new drum. The tuning lugs were down as far as they could go when I got the new drums. It actually sounds OK after just one full turn on each lug, but I don't know if it would sound better if I tuned it higher, but I'm also worried about tuning it too high and damaging the head. Any help/advice for a relatively new conga player in regards to tuning/caring for my new drums would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Check out my weekly column Jam Central Station on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/JamCentralStation and my band The MuckleBuck http://www.facebook.com/themucklebuck
mojo4395

Re: Need help tuning new drums

Postby CongaTick » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Mojo,

Don't be too timid. If you're into tuning to a note, then have at it. I'm not, and tune my drums to my ear and what feels right. Tune them up until they sound good for you, then detune. You'll get the feel after a few weeks as your heads break in. Crank them up 1 turn each lug; see how it sounds. If you want a higher pitch crank them up a half turn, and see how that works. You find the right tension as you and your new drums become friends.
CongaTick

Postby bongosnotbombs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:02 am

Get a wrench and start tuning. You don't need to worry so much about it.
bongosnotbombs

Postby philspeed1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 am

There are lots of video on utube re tuning I generaly tune my conga to c my quinto to e and tombora to g you can use an electronic tuner i use my smart phone app. but other than that just tension until it sounds right those skins will give i tend to detune 2 turns it depends on the room condition when retuning tune back up two turns and then to ear.
philspeed1

Return to Open Discussion