The Conga "scene" in London ?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

The Conga "scene" in London ?

Postby Kasper Bregenborg » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 am

Hi there
i just moved to London from Denmark, and i wonder, does anyone know where to go for:

Listening to great Salsa/latin music live ?
Buying congas, good stores ?
Maybe start playing with someone ?

Thanks very much
Kasper Bregenborg
bregenborg@mail.dk
Kasper Bregenborg

Re: The Conga "scene" in London ?

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm

Well the cats I know about are Dave Pattman, and Snowboy.. these are the busiest players in London and also chek out the London Lucumi Choir....
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:06 am

Will fry who is a member on here can point you in the right direction , he is in brighton / London . Also check out onevoicemusic.co.uk for lessons , courses and instrument buying etc . Dilanga are good rumba group in London and there also a new comparsa on the go from the same guys from Dilanga . Hope that helps .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:06 am

My buddy Dave Pattman is in the group Dilanga....Dave is the one in the center to my left...this is when he was in Miami-1990 and in my folkloric group Roots of Rhythm-Miami....
IMG_0006.jpg
JohnnyConga

Postby niallgregory » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Hes a great player ! Did some brief study on bongo with him a few years ago and he was excellent . Also a great Iya player and singer of Santeria songs . The new comparsa seems to be taking off in London with lots of great players getting involved . Think i should move to London ! Nothing going on in this crappy country of ours :oops:
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Thomas Altmann » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Here is a photo that my girlfriend made of us at Amanda Vincent's house in London, Nov. 2003. From left to right: Dave with his little son, Hamish Orr, Amanda, Crispin Robinson and yours truly. Dave and Crispin come from the Bolaños school and are monster batá players. Crispin toured with people like Cat Stevens (or whatever his current name is) and an echelon of major pop acts.

London2003-2.JPG
At Amanda's, London 2003

Thomas
Thomas Altmann

Return to Open Discussion