Books on Disco / Funk / 70's / Boogie style conga

If you know about any good item or you are looking for it, use this forum to post your messages!

Books on Disco / Funk / 70's / Boogie style conga

Postby MOMO36 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello all,

There are loads of books on Conga but I am particularly interested to know if anyone here can recommend books with notation on the aforementioned styles?

There is a great thread where users were posting their funk / 4/4 conga rhythms, I was wondering if there was a resource where these styles had been notated?

I am a percussion beginner but can read notation and find this easier than watching a video, hoping you may be able to help.

Also, as a related but different question, I don't suppose anyone knows where I could find percussion notation for the Incredible Bongo Band's version of Apache (I realise this is going to be mostly Bongos but thought worth asking). I can figure out the music easy enough but a transcription for the percussion would be great.

Thanks!

Momo

Edited for typo's *DOH*
MOMO36

Re: Books on Disco / Funk / 70's / Boogie style conga

Postby mackeya » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am

Do people dislike rock music because they have never actually listened to it? I just can't understand how people dislike great bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Metallica. Do people who say they hate rock music only believe that because they've never sat down and listened to it properly? Or do they actually prefer artists like Justin Bieber and JLS or whatever they listen to?
Last edited by mackeya on Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
mackeya

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

mackeya wrote:Do people dislike rock music because they have never actually listened to it? I just can't understand how people dislike great bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Metallica. Do people who say they hate rock music only believe that because they've never sat down and listened to it properly? Or do they actually prefer artists like Justin Bieber and JLS or whatever they listen to?

:shock: :?:
KING CONGA

Postby Derbeno » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:17 pm

I love classic Rock Music, in fact I play with a Classic Rock band. We get loads of gigs playing for the over 40's around San Diego.

Speaking from experience it is really not that hard to play Conga to Rock, the progression of the tracks are straightforward and quite simple to adapt tumbao, pilon, guagaunco to fit without much practice or indeed attending all the practice sessions. Besides Congas are not the primary percussion instrument, I am lucky in our band that the drummer and I work perfect together. I have played with stand in busy busy drummers, in that case I simply leave him to it and join in with the party. We have been together a few years so the other band members understand. But I digress, back to the subject......

Now try and sit in with a rumba or folkloric settings and not having a thorough or at least a good understanding of the part you are playing......
Or indeed playing Salsa or Latin jazz and not knowing which side of the Clave your are on.......

This is why there is so much discussion on that and other genres where the Conga drum is a primary instrument.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby niallgregory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:30 pm

MOMO36 wrote:Hello all,

There are loads of books on Conga but I am particularly interested to know if anyone here can recommend books with notation on the aforementioned styles?

There is a great thread where users were posting their funk / 4/4 conga rhythms, I was wondering if there was a resource where these styles had been notated?

I am a percussion beginner but can read notation and find this easier than watching a video, hoping you may be able to help.

Also, as a related but different question, I don't suppose anyone knows where I could find percussion notation for the Incredible Bongo Band's version of Apache (I realise this is going to be mostly Bongos but thought worth asking). I can figure out the music easy enough but a transcription for the percussion would be great.

Thanks!

Momo

Edited for typo's *DOH*

Learn to play afro cuban percussion / congas etc , thats what the vast majority of percussionists play in most if not all genres inc funk and disco etc .
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:38 pm

hey guys don't you know im the Disco Conga King?....hahahahah

check this video of me playing all kinds of parts to this disco music....i threw in all kinds of goon goon bak dunga duun bak patterns and tumbaos...
http://youtu.be/bsIBcprmQ7k this is LIVE on Mexican television ....
http://youtu.be/AK3vY48-A6Y this is part one of 4 ...a show in Helsinki Finland
http://youtu.be/u2g2088hRiw another LIVE concert at the Pavilion de Paris 1979 with Disco KIng CERRONE this is one of 2 parts of the concert and lots of congas.Hector "Bucky" Andrade(RIP) is the other conga drummer...I am behind the white GonBops

I was there an did the whole Disco circuit around the world with Gloria Gaynor and Cerrone...I also played with other groups/artist like Silver Convention, Al Downing, Afro-Directions and others...
As far as I know there are no books...back then we had a saying..."if you can say it, you can play it!"...
Check out the whole 2 parts of CERRONE so u can see and hear the parts i am playing. This was recorded and I didn't know it and found a copy of the whole concert in Argentina on vynil.....

Ol skool Disco pattern--125 beats a minute standard Disco time...you will see how your hands will go right to left and the left to right with this pattern...

Tone Tone Slap Tone Tone Slap Tone Tone Slap Tone Tone Slap Slap Tone Tone Slap
R L R L R L R L R L R L R L R L .....repeat....I made this pattern up to play along with Gloria's disco music...i also listened to what guys like Master Henry Gibson, the late Great Charles Martin(the conga drummer on Turn the Beat Around) by Vickie Sue Robinson. Here is the recording with his conga playing..it influenced me greatly back then... the other percussionist on it is Ray Armando....chek how he goes in and out of tumbao.... http://youtu.be/mV0fEEYkkm0
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:14 pm

HERE is another video of me back in the Disco days with the Queen Gloria Gaynor...this is live, and you can hear what Im doing, and see me here and there...
http://youtu.be/gi0w5Z-H7rY
JohnnyConga

Return to Books, Videos and CD for conga students