SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby Jaisen Torres » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:15 pm

anyone wana trade a set sos for my timbas ?
Attachments
IMG_20120125_171713.jpg
IMG_20120125_171858.jpg
jaisens%20timbas%202.jpeg
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby Jaisen Torres » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 pm

KING CONGA wrote:My Killer SOS sun bathing in good old Souther California sun and getting a skin conditioning with Manteca de Corojo, provided by my friend Onile. It's been a year now since I’ve had them and the sound just keeps getting better. They are still in pristine condition, not a single scratch, the bands continue nice and tight just like when I first got them. I am so happy with these drums, I would encourage anybody, if you can, get yourself a set you will not regret it, you will have them for a life time.
Peace.
Juan

beautifull, true story they are nice , post some new pics kid....
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 am

Jaisen Torres wrote:rhythmrhyme ,
your skins on skins are monsterous, dam they look beautifull, post some more pics, thats eye candy 4 real... :D

All I can say is that buying these oak drums from Jay and Josh was one of the best decisions I've made. I haven't had them very long, but they continue to slowly open up and sound better. They're responsive enough to have changed my playing style a bit as well, I find I'm able to really back off and play light and fast and still get good projection and articulation from them. They've been a real eye opener and continue to call me to play them daily. I'd like to try a couple Ritmo's down the road a bit, but I have no idea how to get ahold of the guy. I've sent a couple emails and nada...
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 am

Bump - had to go digging for this one.

My latest purchase from Skin on Skin - Jay and Josh. As always, customer service was spot on and they delivered within the time agreed to when I sent the deposit. The turn around was a bit longer this time, closer to 5 months, but still very reasonable.

I already have 4 SOS oak congas with chrome hardware, so this time I ordered an ash 12" (for my main center drum) and a "13 cherry tumba for rumba etc. I asked for a thicker head on the conga and the one they chose is perfect, well mounted and sounds great. The ash has a bit better projection than the oak and with the thicker head the 12" has tight and easy to produce slaps.

A couple pics for ya'll.
RR
Attachments
DSCN0384.JPG
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0386.JPG
DSCN0388.JPG
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 am

Damn fine drums there, conga-tulations! Loving them sos chrome hardware ones just behind. What was the turn around time from order placement?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:05 am

5-6 months for the last 2 - I went with the black anodized to mix it up a bit. used to be 3-4, but I think Jay's had some health challenges. He's in his 70's now, but still at it.

The thing I've really come to appreciate is that the drum will actually arrive in 5-6 months, not BS, no run around, someone always picks up the phone if you call. SOS is still in business and delivering great customer service and excellent quality drums! Jay always has a good story and you can usually hear Josh busting his butt somewhere in the background.

Cheers,
RR
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 am

That's awesome lead time. Do you know if he makes them in black walnut at all?
Matts black walnut are insane, but sadly so is the wait time.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rhythmrhyme » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 am

No black walnut for congas, just bongo's. if you look at the wider picture you'll see a set on top of the shelf on the far left. They are some seriously sweet drums...

Jay's drums come in cherry, ash or oak.
rhythmrhyme

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 am

Yeh I noticed those, very nice.
Shame he dont do jicamo in walnut. Guess I'll need to wait til some time next year before ordering from Matt then.
Not too bad as I'm heading back to Cuba again for 6-12 months later in the year.
Congrats again, SOS drums are the shit.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Jaisen Torres » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 am

Double R , the drums look good , im sure they sound good aswell .
I was at Jays shop about 2 months ago , went to pick up some cherry & oak sets.
I had a real good time , took a ton of pics , spent the whole day with jay at the shop, & even got him to play some Rumba...
plus I ran around the shop like a kid at a toy store playing & checking everything out.
Jay & Josh are doing there thing , no doubt !
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby Jaisen Torres » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 am

MARCELO, whats up bro , long time...
Whats new kid ???
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Jaisen Torres wrote:took a ton of pics

Whats up bro. Dont hold back on us and show us some of those pictures :lol:
K.C.
KING CONGA

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:06 pm

X 2 on ^^^

I'd love to see some pics of the boys in their shop!!

RR
rhythmrhyme

Postby Omelenko1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:15 pm

I take my hat off for craftsmen like Junior, Jay and now Matthew, for keeping that traditional Cuban look that originated with Gonzalo Vergara in the late 40's in La Habana. To me that's how I like my congas. I'm really turned off by comfort crowns, gold hardware, funny looking side plates. I'll take that Cuban Gonzalo Vergara look (very stream lined and traditional) to the end of time. Viva Junior , Jay and "the new keeper of the flame" Matthew.

Dario
Omelenko1

Postby KING CONGA » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 pm

Omelenko1 wrote:I take my hat off for craftsmen like Junior, Jay and now Matthew, for keeping that traditional Cuban look that originated with Gonzalo Vergara in the late 40's in La Habana. To me that's how I like my congas. I'm really turned off by comfort crowns, gold hardware, funny looking side plates. I'll take that Cuban Gonzalo Vergara look (very stream lined and traditional) to the end of time. Viva Junior , Jay and "the new keeper of the flame" Matthew.

Dario

HERE HERE!!!!!
KING CONGA

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories