too good to be true?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

too good to be true?

Postby vxla » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Amazon has "LP Latin Percussion Rumba 11 & 12" Conga Set. Traditional Design With Steel Bands" for $259 (two drums!).

Too good to be true?
vxla

Re: too good to be true?

Postby Jackson_B » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 pm

I guess that it depends on what you mean by "Too good to be true". For a beginner, like myself, I was looking for some variety to go with my Matador. I searched online for a couple of days with limited funds and ran across that amazon deal. Actually, when I saw them, they were $235 with free shipping. I couldn't pull the trigger fast enough. Especially since they were listing them as having a list price of like $600-700.
I got mine the day before Thanksgiving. They're okay. Skins kind of thin. The finish on the wood was so smooth, I thought that it was some sort of laminate, but all of the seams lined up with the insides.
Probably most of the pros here would think they are junk, but for the beginner with small pockets, I have no complaints.
Here's a little closer look, seeing there are really no other looks online except for the LP promo shots:

Thin hardware
thinnish skin
inside
nice finish
comparison to Matador
Jackson_B

Postby Gallichio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47 pm

The drums look really nice, How do you like the sound?
All the Best!
Mike Gallichio
Gallichio

Postby Jackson_B » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:06 am

Gallichio wrote:The drums look really nice, How do you like the sound?

They sound okay. I really have never played a "good" drum, so I don't have much to compare it to. I don't think they sound as good as my Matador, but they have a crispness to them. The 12" has a nice low tone to it.
According to amazon, the 12" has a "Buy New" price of $849.00. That's pretty ridiculous. The 11" is showing a price of $799.00. Not sure how they came up with those numbers, but if that were true, I don't know how they could sell the two of them for $235. Being a beginner, they'll do me just fine. They are pretty. I'm sure that if I ever get better, I'll pass them on. Or they'll be my drum circle companions.
Jackson_B

Postby docarroyo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Those drums look good to me, If I didn't own so many drums already I would purchase a set of these myself. A drum is what YOU make it, no matter who manufactures it. If it sounds good its because you make it sound good. I love going to guitar center and watching young cats saying that a drum sounds like shit then I played them and they just walk away pulling thier foot out of thier mouth. LP usually mounts thinner skins on the drums they sell they will do for a little while then I mount after market skins on them. Keep playing and enjoying those drums Like I said they look good now make them sound good its up to you. Good Luck
docarroyo

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

Nothing wrong with them LP's my man. Is not so much the the bow and arrow is the indian
that makes the bow and arrow look real good. Play them drums and forget about what anybody
says. Them drums look good.
RitmoBoricua

Postby Congarranza » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:47 am

I replaced the "Hand Picked" heads, and mounted my own. I got my flats from L&H and 1/4" stainless steel flesh hoops from DrumSkullz. This is a quinto at 10" in diameter. I ordered new flesh hoops in fear that the thin LP hoops would give out too soon. Skin soaked in tub for 8 hours. When I mounted the skin, it initially was swollen past the lug hangers. Indentations after drying are still there, but will not have any affect, at all.
Attachments
0323021759.jpg
Thin head shown under lug hanger: "Hand Picked"
0816021231.jpg
Thin hardware. Thicker skin. Photo angle similar to previous post.
0816021227.jpg
Thick healthy skin. It doesn't feel like I am slapping a plastic head around anymore.
0816021230.jpg
Newly mounted head after 4 days of drying. I spread on a very light layer of pure shea butter while head was drying about an hour after mounting.
Congarranza

Postby jorge » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:24 am

Nice job. looks great! Be patient and give it plenty of time to dry, especially where the skin is doubled over between the flesh hoop and the top of the rim. That is where the skin dries the slowest and rips if you tune it up too soon. Then tune it up (moderation is good first week) and let us know how it sounds with the new skin!
jorge

Postby Kaban » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 am

Nice!
Kaban

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:19 pm

Wow! What a deal.
KING CONGA

Return to Open Discussion