Cajon Drum Help

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Cajon Drum Help

Postby conguera2 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:04 am

I am in the market to buy a cajon and was interested in the Meinl Headliner Stained White Ash Cajon. I've listened to sound files and watched videos of all of Meinls entry level cajones and this is the only one that sounded decent to me. I'm wondering if anyone has ever played it and what their opinion of it was. I played the rubber wood Headliner in Guitar Center and I was not at all impressed with it. But I compared videos of this one side by side with the rubber wood version and there's a definite sound difference. The White Ash seems to have a much more distinguished slap sound which is very important to me. Here is a video of it being played http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0n5R3Ic9eE. Here is the link to the rubber wood version so you can hear the difference between the two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSHILN9TZs Also if anyone has a better recommendation for a cajon under $130 please let me know. Thanks a lot.

P.S.
Schalloch's cajon is on sale at Musician's Friend for $79.99 does anyone have an opinion it. I have never heard it before and I'd appreciate some information on this as well. Thanks again and I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Attached Images
conguera2

Re: Cajon Drum Help

Postby conguera2 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

What do you think of the Schalloch cajon? I know it's not top of the line, but for $80 what do you think? Thanks.
Attachments
257353.jpg
257353.jpg (10.26 KiB) Viewed 13245 times
conguera2

Postby pavloconga » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi conguera,
I have a Schalloch cajon, it actually sounds pretty good compared to a lot of cajons I've played (and I've played a lot).
Good bass, crisp slaps.
The Gon Bops Alex Acuna series cajon sounds really beautiful, but quite a lot more dollars.
cheers
pavlo
pavloconga

Postby conguera2 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks Pavloconga,

I was just about ready to buy the schalloch cajon, but I checked ebay and they had a great deal on the LP cajon. I've actually gotten to hear the LP cajon and I like the sound it puts out. I got it for $85.06 and it's normal price is $169.99, so I know I made a good choice. Thanks again.
Attachments
minee.jpg
minee.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 13181 times
conguera2

Postby ChuyPu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 am

good for you man !

here in israel they have one store for lp percussion and they want 230$ for the cajon

600$ for the LP classic conga which is the only model they have
ChuyPu

Postby p.a.dogs1 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:19 pm

When I tested a couple of cheap cajones I was quite impressed by the DG-model Bailaor – and also the Kiyo was okay.
http://www.cajondg.com/en/products/descrizione_baialor.html
http://www.cajondg.com/en/products/descrizione_kiyo.html

Meinl Headliner cajones are not bad. But you should buy the concrete instrument after having tested it (not order online!!!).

As I know is Schalloch also Meinl – but they develop their things independently.

My experience is that people mostly don´t buy Meinl, Schalloch, Tycoon, LP, Pearl (etc.) if they get the opportunity to compare them with Valters, POPs, PRKs, dog´s, Selas, Pepotes, trE.S. lados and/or DGs.
p.a.dogs1

Postby conguera2 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:01 pm

So I received my cajon on Monday and after playing it for a few days I can say that I'm completely happy with it. I would definitely recommend it. It has awesome bass and nice crisp slaps. I've only played three cajones in person, but it is by far the best out of the ones I've tried. The adjustable feet really come in handy as well. I have no complaints. Thanks everyone for your opinions.
conguera2

Postby ChuyPu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:37 pm

you right !
i purchase one in a local store for 200$ and additional to the excellent design and sound the height is perfect for use as a chair for my GIO palladium set
Attachments
DSCN1549.jpg
ChuyPu

Postby conguera2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Yes, it's a very nice cajon. I'm very satisfied with it. My only complaint is that it takes a drum key to tune it and I don't have one at the moment. I'm glad you like yours. The adjustable feet also make it the right height for me to sit on while playing my Pearl congas which are only 28 inches tall. It was definitely a good buy.
conguera2

Postby ChuyPu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:03 am

Pearl congas are excellent

do you think that all the conga drums have identical sound and the only difference is the skin ?
ChuyPu

Postby conguera2 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:15 am

I love my congas they sound great. They're the Primero Pro 11 3/4" and 12 1/2". The only differences I can find between them and the Pearl Elites is that they're only 28 inches and the Elites are 30 inches and that they don't have handles. Also the fact that they're a whole lot less expensive of course. They sound the same and the look the same except being a little shorter. As far as the different congas go the skins definitely make a big difference, but the different type of woods also factor in. I'm not an expert as I've only played about 10 different sets of congas, but that's my opinion. I would love to eventually get some new heads for my congas. I know it would bring they're sound to an entirely new level. Maybe one day. Enjoy your drums.
conguera2

Postby ChuyPu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:50 am

i dont know much but still i think that the sound of the lp-aspire is identical to the lp palladium and the main difference is appearance and comfort
ChuyPu

Postby pavloconga » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 am

i dont know much but still i think that the sound of the lp-aspire is identical to the lp palladium and the main difference is appearance and comfort

Hi,
I own both models - the LP Aspires and the LP Palladiums.
The Palladiums have a much better response all around - slaps, bass, tones, volume and projection - they are a far superior drum to the Aspires and have much better hardware.
However, someone who hasn't been playing long may not notice much difference between them, mainly because their technique is not developed enough to get the range of sounds out of the drum.
cheers
pavlo
pavloconga

Postby VJBaros » Fri May 20, 2011 6:23 pm

What do you think of Schlagwerk Cajons?
http://www.schlagwerk.com/products/cajon/
VJBaros

Postby guarachon63 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:19 am

What do you think of Schlagwerk Cajons?

I think sometimes there is too much emphasis placed on "innovation" in our society these days.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Next

Return to Other instruments