SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Re: SKIN ON SKIN's Please comment

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 am

s'chopp wrote:Does anybody know Jay's current prices?
:?:

$750 a drum.
bongosnotbombs

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Ernesto Pediangco wrote:will you be correcting & improving the hard ware flaws ! ? I

That is one of the most, if not the most, ridiculous statement made of these legendary drums. I have not had a single issue nor have I heard of anyone else in this forum having had these issues with neither the construction nor the hardware. You are just making a worthless and invalid assumption. For those of you who are really interested in SOS drums please do your homework and take the time to read the responses in this thread, you will no doubt come to the one and only conclusion, these drums, design, construction and HARDWARE! is without a doubt second to none.
Peace.
Last edited by KING CONGA on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KING CONGA

Postby onile » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Oh no, no, no brothel King Conga.....i muss correk ju.......eees hard wares, or eees it har weres, no, no, no...eees star wares!

Awwww Hell!!!!! I just don't know anymore!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
catno.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Anonimo » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:46 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

Postby docarroyo » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Cuco you and me laugh at the same things. Its funny how everyone in NYC use to go to Jays shop to get thier drums fixed by a former steel worker Jay and his brother, but this guy claims he fixed Jays work. I know Jay worked on Mongos gear , Barretto, and all the heavys Cachette, Patato I could go on forever his metal work is GREAT. I have new gear (LP Classics) as well as my classic drums they all have redeaming qualities I love my Juniors, Fats, Requena, Gon Bops well you all know what I mean, you as a player make the drum If you break drums because you play too hard your playing wrong in my humble opinion. Patato said you do not have to play hard to sound good. Tata did not play hard but had great and unique technique. Once again no es la flecha pero el indio, Its not the arrow but the indian, I was made to play clave first then bell then caja then.... well if you know, you know, if not let me know I will send you a dime and e you can buy a clue. HAHAHA now back to sushi tequilla corona's and RUMBA while you guys talk I play.
docarroyo

Postby s'chopp » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Can anybody help, I'm looking for some recordings of sos drums in action?

found this so far http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hyzZ5CGh2c

thank you
Last edited by s'chopp on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s'chopp

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Francisco Aguabella...after GB's demise.
Tonio

Postby s'chopp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Thanks Tonio I'll give it a go.

Also Leedy2 came up with this (sos drums) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPYmWMvd-A
s'chopp

Postby KING CONGA » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Francisco Aguabellas H2O is what I believe to be one of his finest. All tracks are recorded with his favorite congas, S.O.S.
KING CONGA

Postby goingquinto » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm

What size congas do you think he played? Aguabella, that is. Someone here may know for sure. The angles in pics i can find all make it hard to judge the sizes. Always really deep sound, so it makes me think he chose a big set of 3. SOS doesn't have 11 3/4, so maybe 12 and a couple of 13's. Maybe even 12, 13, 14? Just curious, if anyone here knows.
goingquinto

Postby goingquinto » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:35 pm

I see alot of people have the 12 and 13 inch pair of SOS. Then some have 11, 12, and 13. I like to play 3 drums, but I have pretty large hands and don't know if an 11" conga will be large enough for me. I know my 11" LP seems a little small to me. Especially if it really comes out to 10 7/8 or so when finished. What do you guys think of a 12, 13, and 14 set from SOS? I haven't heard of anyone having the 14" tumba yet. Is this just too darn big for a set of congas? I guess this was really the point of my last post in this thread. I was trying to use Aguabella's decision to help in making my choice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
goingquinto

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 am

Re: SOS from Jay & ( Ritmo's from Matthew Smith ) I will consider them as being more similar in design & construction since they are ! I love the shell construction & finishing, but the hard wares are old fashioned and flawed from not using good engineering concepts that correct the bending & warping hard wares issues, tuning hook alignments bend out of position and the threads can get damaged as a result of metal on metal friction. The crowns are to closely similar to the drums top portion so the crowns have only a short distance before bottoming out against the shells. The heads must be mounted very high to allow room to stretch in the future...but this is uncomfortable to many players and limits the drum heads tunable life on the drums that get the most tensions. The " V s" on the crown are narrow so the3 gap between tuning points is wide and not evenly distributing the tension so the crowns are prone to warping out of level & out of round ! The side plate lugs ( the U shaped saddle ) has very little clearance for ideal alignments of the tuning system, since the U shape is not secure to the side plate. This causes the U shape to bend upward and pinch against the tuning hook threads. The over sized hook is strong but when used w/ riveted V's on the crown,( the rivets & the stamped V's are the weak link in this tuning system ~ if they warp or snap off, it does not matter how thick the tuning hooks are. The rivets are not strong and they will fail before a standard size hook fails. So...the over sized hook is just added weight and requiring a non standard size tuning wrench. Custom drums at this price range, should not have such design flaw issues. Copying old style Cuban congas means you copied old design flaws as well ! I have repaired these issues on Jay's SOS congas on 2 sets of his congas already. In one case I repaired an out of round conga & quinto that went out of round despite the internal shell Alma ring. The reason was that the ring was not flush fitted to each stave so the drum still was flexing until it touched the ring. Flat stock Alma rings are still prone to warping as well. Cracks may develop from the bottom of the shell when the shells shrink smaller than the bottom ring & get bumped around...or if to much banging on floors cause cracks. A bottom protective boot will protect the shell and allow more free resonance of the shell. 5 bands per shell is excessive and actually smothers drum shells. 4 bands is sufficient to do the job. A modern stave shell construction should make bands unwarranted. Its all about initial design details...then...the final construction & finishing. I feel nostalgic appearance is not as valuable as good insightful design details. Its so easy to correct the old problems but....no one seems concerned...until the drums or hard wares get bent out of shape or need other repairs ! All congas w/ side tuning hard wares that scratch and dent into adjacent drums, should have bumpers or some type of guard from the onset to protect the drums from damage. Some of these issues have been corrected by the more progressive growth of Asian made drums & other custom builders ( like Volcano brand ). Side plate lug hard wares ~ by design & placement on the shells, will & do damage everything they touch up against. SELF destructive drums ! ? Look at every damaged drum you have ever seen, identify the simple corrective measures and correct it, prevent repeating the mistakes ! ? That's my opinion. ( Ernesto Pediangco )
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:31 am

s'chopp wrote:Thanks Tonio I'll give it a go.

Also Leedy2 came up with this (sos drums) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DPYmWMvd-A

A great live performance in every way. The large conga as a lead drum certainly has a different tone. Usually Salseros prefer to use the small conga and a brighter shell & thinner sounding head...but I love this sound ! FAT & tonal. Well selected heads are 80 % of the voice of a drum. The rest depends on head & shell sized & materials used since the drums shell is the resonator to amplify the characteristics of the head, various woods or fiberglass shells have differing qualities. So far, no drum has out performed my 1998 Ash wood, banded Gon Bops. Timba drums are the best comparison in sound, construction and appearance...since they are actually the Gon Bops which sold to Timba, but Timba did the crucial corrections to the tuning system problems from old Gon Bops. Timbas & Ritmo drums are almost the same drum in most respects. Timba has more refined hard wares and are the best comparison to the new Gon Bops California models that Akbar ( formerly of Valje ) has been constructing. Akbar's greatest contribution to new Gon Bops is simply using a crown design that Fat Congas came out with in 1970 ! New Gon Bops side plate lugs are constructed like other Asian made lugs which isd better than old Gon Bops, Old Valjes & other old designs. They do not bend out of alignment and do provide clearance for smooth operation w/o any metal on metal damage to the tuning hook threads. Volcano, Sol, VGA, and new Gon Bops are decades behind Fat Congas in that respect but have at least come up to par ! No traditional crown is as strong, rigid & comfortable as the 1/2 round profile stock used to make these conga / bong crown rims. The V saddles for the hooks are formed from rod steel & welded onto the crowns and placed in a way that maximizes the stress distribution more evenly around the entire crown ~ not flat stamped out V's that are riveted onto the crown. Better designed parts provide better operation & better dependability for decades to come...not just a few years .
Ernesto Pediangco

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:26 pm

Ok Earnesto now take a deep breath...hahahaha...
JohnnyConga

Postby Anonimo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:03 pm

POST REMOVED BY THE AUTHOR
Anonimo

PreviousNext

Return to CongaSet and accessories