UDU

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby timo » Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:33 pm

are there any percussion transcriptions for the udu drum, and if there are where could i find them, i'd be very thankfull if someone could inform me about this.
and if you don't know what the udu is, I recomend you find out, you won't be disapointted, because it is an amazing instrument.
timo

Postby CongaMan » Sun Nov 04, 2001 9:25 pm

Hi Timo,
I cannot help you about udu partition but may be you are interested to know that there's is a video available at amazon.com called: "The HOW TO of Udu"

CLICK HERE to go to amazon for further infos.

I don't have this video so I cannot give you any personal opinion. If you want to buy check the video format (Pal-VHS ecc...).

Bye
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby Pancho » Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:34 pm

Thanks for the tip; I recently acquired an Udu, so ordered the video, & will pass on a review.
Pancho

Postby timo » Mon Nov 26, 2001 4:23 pm

hi pancho, thanks for informing us abuot your review.
Also from where did you purchase your udu ? is it LP,
and do you know if there are any other udu's on the market ( besides LP ) ?
and if anyone wants to make an UDU, or is making one at the moment. which is a really fun job, if you need help, i would be glad to help as much as i can. also pete lockett has some information ( and article called: Udu Drum, Ghatam & Frank Giorgini) on his page (somewhere), which helped me when i started to make udu's. if you do make udu's, please do inform me about your results because i'd love to hear what kind of results other people get. and if you dont make udus, but have the facilitys available i suggest you get to work, because its really satisfying to get those first sounds when is played after firing.
timo

Postby Pancho » Wed Dec 05, 2001 6:29 am

Hi timo, I found my Udu at a flea market, had been looking at buying one at guitar center, and as it turned out bought the style they sell. It is not an LP, but made here in the San Francisco Bay area. Sounds great!
The video is mostly a demo of what an Udu sounds like mic'd up...and different styles of Udu, with various names. Interesting, but not anything I hadn't come up with on my own, as far as the sounds you can produce.
I think it would be valuable to have if you make them, so you can see the different styles, and hear their sounds. Patrica Barber has an Udu used on her album 'Modern Cool', the song is Constantinople. Only song I've found one on, at this point...
Cheers,
Pancho
Pancho

Postby timo » Wed Dec 05, 2001 3:57 pm

thanks!
its true not too many people use udu's,
Buena Vista Social Club uses udu in a few of their songs, ( same name album), which played by Joachim Cooder, on Chan Chan for example, the rhythms are fairly simple, but it sounds great with afro-cuban music.
timo

Return to Other instruments