Bongo LP Latin Percussion Generation II M.Cohen 1980

What's the origin... when, where... history and evolution of this instrument.

Bongo LP Latin Percussion Generation II M.Cohen 1980

Postby traumtyp » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

I found this offer on the Mexican Ebay .... I find it very interesting.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-26134930-bongo-lp-latin-percussion-generation-ii-mcohen-1980-_JM

Bongo LP appeared in perfect condition that was new, of course Rims Originals chromium is not the original, all lugs are original LP, patches Fiber Skyn 3 Crimplock REMO 7 Male and Female 8.5 "sound that was unparalleled in U.S. manufactured in Factoria LP in Garfield NJ. , Is the natural color of the wood is not painted or anything else is just paint, and these are not the current Gen II series are made with wood Thailandesas in Thailand and it is crafted with American wood, and will include the price the LP Pro Bongo Bag this was bought in NY and is only half a year of use and LP Survival Tool Kit includes a 2 flasks and dice 1 / 2 "and 9 / 16" Lp `s an Lp Lube lug around in a small pouch with logo and giftware LP a black shirt size "L" REMO Original fetched U.S. if I have them to sell more, the shipping is on my mind I just sent by UPS or FedEx, depending on the place where they send.

This boat was bought from Jose Mangual Jr., for those who will know who is playing Bongo, who came in a presentation at the Hector Lavoe Orchestra andalusia Veracruz aya by 1980, it really is a relic for 28 years and that was bought guess who this time is oldest in perfect condition because it was kept idle for many years but well preserved.
traumtyp

Re: Bongo LP Latin Percussion Generation II M.Cohen 1980

Postby Mike » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:04 am

Traumtyp,

those bongos are surely very fine, the Garfield models are superior quality.
They sound like the real thing, even if I am not a fan of synthetic heads that are
mounted.
But the offer you mention is absolutely overpriced in my opinion!
If played by José Mangual and kept well, it is a collector´s item of course.
If somebody would like to spend 650$, alright,
but I must say if you really want to play a fine set of bongos, you can get some
for a better price.

Just my 2 cents

Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby cuquito717 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:25 am

you can but those bongo brand new for about $350.00 (675 rediculus)
cuquito717

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:12 am

cuquito717 wrote:you can but those bongo brand new for about $350.00 (675 rediculus)

Yes, cuquito, I agree, 650 bucks are a ridiculously high price, but I slightly disagree that you can get the same sound out of a new bongó of the same brand, because those vintage drums have (had) their own life... I guess you mean a Matador bongó, because basically it is the same shape as those 1980s Garfield models. With good skins Matadors surely sound great, but still - they are not the same! And the LP Generation II bongos usually do not live up to their high price - at least what the quality of the stock heads is concerned.
BTW I am really curious what the skins on LP´s new Dandy Rodriguez Signature line bongos will look (and sound) like...

Regards
Mike
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby traumtyp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:49 pm

Upss! nobody buy the Bongó! :roll:
traumtyp

Postby Mike » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:44 pm

traumtyp wrote:Upss! nobody buy the Bongó! :roll:

No wonder, at that price! :roll:
Peace & drum
Mike

Postby Psych1 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:10 am

I have 2 LP Palisades Park bongos. One in oak that I bought new in 1972 and one in walnut that I recently got, through this board, from DocArroyo that is from the early 80's. I have other bongos but these two are, by far, my favorites and the ones I play.

But, I guess I need an LP bongo & conga history lesson. My understanding has always been that when LP closed the Palisades Park site they moved all production, except the bells, overseas and moved the management offices to Garfield and once the tag said "Garfield" the drums were really made in Thailand. So, if I am right, the bongos being discussed in this thread were not made in New Jersey. But, I may be wrong - if I am someone please correct me.
Psych1

Postby Ernesto Pediangco » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Mike wrote:
traumtyp wrote:Upss! nobody buy the Bongó! :roll:

No wonder, at that price! :roll:

at that price a guy can start his own bongo factory !
Ernesto Pediangco

Return to Bongo and bongoceros...