Cuban rumba cajon patterns - instructional material

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby TONE74 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Anyone out there know of any sources for cajon patterns for guaguanco, guarapachangueo, yambu etc. Thanks
TONE74

Postby guarachon63 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:09 pm

There was this sort of mysterious post here a while back, but the guy never replied to me.

hello group
i have a 2 hrs dvd record in cuba in workshop how to play a cajon de rumba contain all the rhythms patterns.
i trade for other interesant dvd of percussion (NOT IS FOR SALES) thanks.......Eugene
konga@choicecable.net

Guess you could try emailing him...
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby guarachon63 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:24 pm

also there is a video of basic guarapachangueo with Piri of Los Chinitos here.
===================================
http://esquinarumbera.blogspot.com
guarachon63

Postby TONE74 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks Guarachon, I tried e-mailing that guy too but he was into trading and I din't have anything to trade. I even offered to buy but he wasn't interested.

I've been working on the Piri one but Theres not a lot in there even though it is a good starting point.

Thanks
TONE74

Postby jorge » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:54 pm

You can learn a lot by watching some of the best cajon players on videos. Some examples are Marquito Diaz Scull (tumbador) and Maximino Duquesne (tres dos) in Rumbon Tropical (Boogalu), Chori (quinto) with Yoruba Andabo in Quien Baila Aqui and En el Pais de los Orichas, and some of the more recent DVDs coming out of Cuba in the last couple of years. Those videos are well edited with good audio/video sync.

The problem with YouTube video clips is that they usually have horrible AV sync and the timing is off so much that you can't integrate what you see with what you hear.
jorge

Postby TONE74 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Jorge or anyone else, can you tell me where I can get " Quien baila aqui " the Yoruba Andabo dvd you mentioned I googled it and din't get any results as far as anyone selling it. Thanks for the suggestions.
TONE74

Postby blango » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 pm

http://www.saydel.com/shop....882dc91

I've never used this site, fyi.

Jorge, hope all is well with you...

Have you seen the title 'Wemilere' from this site? Or any others tapes?

Can you recommend some of the tapes that might have some cats from Jesus Perez's, or Angarica's house?

Tony
blango

Postby jorge » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 am

Elio Ruiz, the director of "Quien baila aqui: la rumba sin lentejuelas" and "El pais de los orichas" is working on English subtitles for Quien baila aqui. Quien baila aqui, originally made in 1988, has incredible footage of Yoruba Andabo with Chori on quinto cajon, with FariƱas, Geovanni, and Calixto Callava singing. As soon as he finishes the subtitles, we plan to do a screening at the AfroLatino Cafe rumba at the Brecht forum. I will let you know when, it will probably be a Sunday this month or next. He will probably have copies of the DVD of Quien baila aqui for sale.
jorge

Return to Other instruments