need HELP!!! LP talking drum head - ...replacement sold on line?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby yalla » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Hello guys, during a jam yesterday I hit too hard my poor LP talking drum (the large size model) with a heavy stick (not the regular one) and I broke the head...
Now the problem is that I live in Italy and those replacement heads are not imported at all, impossible to find one.
Surely there is someone out there who can help me, to find an on-line shop somewhere around the world where I can buy it.
Moreover, it's the older model, the one with the holes for the strings and the black leather rim sewn on the head (instead of the metal rim which is now being produced).
Any link or suggestion is warmly welcome... thank you!
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:23 pm

I suggest that you go to the LP website and find their customer service e-mail. Then e-mail LP to get a part number for the replacement head (or heads, if the drums uses a different one on each end). Their customer service seems to be pretty good about giving out part numbers, in my experience.
Then, once you have the part number, try to find a dealer who will mail the part out internationally. Perhaps West Coast Drums in Costa Mesa, California might be able to help you. Good luck with that!
Whopbamboom

Postby yalla » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:30 am

Thanks Whopbamboom! No need anyway to write to LP customer service, the correct replacement head part number is LP752A, I could easily find it out into the site.
I will give a try to that West Cost Drums, and let you know!
Thank you! :)
yalla

Postby Whopbamboom » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:18 am

If West Coast Drums can get the head, but won't mail it internationally, then let me know and I'll see if I can possibly help further.
Whopbamboom

Postby yalla » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:20 pm

Thank you Whop!!!! Your help will be really appreciated, West Coast Drums do have that head on stock but won't ship out of the States.... in these days I spent many hours searching some suitable site but with no luck... :( :( :(
yalla

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:41 am

WBB, when shipping to Italy, in the customs document indicate that it is a gift, and claim cost value of head as
$ 10 US.
Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby Whopbamboom » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:54 am

Yalla-- perhaps I can help, I don't mind attempting to mail internationally. I've shipped many items overseas before. BUT... never a drum head. And so, I have a couple questions for you:

1) Did West Coast give a reason for not mailing internationally?

2) Is this head made from natural animal skin, or is it a plastic one?

3) What is the diameter of the head?
Whopbamboom

Postby yalla » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:00 am

Whopbamboom! Are you saying you can arrange shipping for me? That would be great!
- I did not ask explanations to West Coast Drums, I only noticed in the site that they do not ship internationally.
- It is natural animal skin
- overall diameter of the head is about 9" (drum bearing edge is 7 1/2 ")

:)
yalla

Postby Whopbamboom » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:33 pm

Yalla...

I was thinking that if you would be willing to pay for the head to be shipped to me from West Coast Drums, and then pay for my own mailing costs to send it on to you, then I'd be willing to try.

But we will need to find out a couple more things:

1) Will West Coast Drums accept international payment from you, and then mail it to where I am in California?

2) Will there be any problem with Customs if I attempt to send a natural animal skin (origin Thailand) from the USA to Italy?
Whopbamboom

Postby OLSONGO » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:49 pm

WBB, I have sent natural bongo skins to Italy, no problem
Paz Olsongo
OLSONGO

Postby yalla » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 am

WBB I confirm no problem to ship that skin to Italy. I will contact West Coast Drums to check if they will accept payment from me, and ship to you.
Moreover, I am considering opening my own DHL account so that you can ship to me at my expenses (and you won't need to pay shipment charges in advance).
Will let you know, thank you!!! :)
yalla

Postby Whopbamboom » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:19 pm

Yalla, I'm not sure if there is any convenient place around where I live that I can drop off a DHL package. They might have to come pick it up, which may in turn add to your expense.

The Post Office will be easy for me.
Whopbamboom

Postby yalla » Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:27 am

WBB, are you able to tell me how much will be the cost using international mail?
Thank you! :)
yalla

Postby Whopbamboom » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:49 am

It would be impossible to do so without actually having the package in hand to weigh and to measure dimensions. I couldn't do that until I have the head in hand. So for now, I could only attempt to take an educated guess, using the rate charts.

Bear in mind that things could, possibly be a very different actual final rate in the end, depending on how accurately (or not) I make a guess now! And I would not wish to be held to my preliminary guess, as it is only a guess. I just want to make that clear up front.

But if you would like for me to try to find out to the best of my ability now, then I need to know a couple things:

1) What are the actual dimensions (as accurately as possible) of that head? (in english inches and fractions of an inch)

2) Any idea of the weight, in english pounds and ounces?

3) Can the head be curled slightly, or must it lay completely flat?

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1194814125
Whopbamboom

Postby yalla » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Well, I presume that the head will be packed in a little carton box which should be a square package, 10" wide, 1" thick weighing about 12 ounces.
The head comes ready to be mounted, with a sewn rim so it can't be curled and must lay flat - but as you can see from the dimensions it's quite small and this is not a problem. :)
yalla

Next

Return to Other instruments