Another what kind/how many post

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Another what kind/how many post

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:13 am

Since there is currently on topic in the other sections of this forum a show-and-tell thread for congas and one for bongos, I thought I'd start one for other percussion stuff.

Sure, this could become a small bragging-rights fest, but that's not my intention. I think the more valuable thing here would be that people could ask questions of others about the things that they own. For instance, if person A has a certain type of drum and person B was thinking of picking one of those items up, then person B could ask specific questions of person A about that drum before committing to buy one. We can all learn from each other!

So, here goes for me... hopefully this thread will stay cool.

Feel free to edit your post later to reflect new additions to your own collection.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than my conga's and bongo's, I currently have:

--Remo 12" ashiko (2 of them, which I might mount on a conga stand and tune differently) (with Fiberskyn heads)
--Remo 14" key-tuned tubano (with Fiberskyn head)
--Remo 14" key-tuned djembe (with Fiberskyn head)
--Remo 12" klong yaw (with Fiberskyn head)
--Remo 14" standing ngoma (with Fiberskyn head)
--Remo Trilok Gurtu "nakara" small kettle drum (only about 3 were ever produced)
--Remo 10" x 5-1/2" vented snare drum (prototype?)
--Remo 8" Roto-tom head (with Fiberskyn head)
--Remo 16" Roto-tom head (with Fiberskyn head)
--Ludwig "conga" drums (2 of them, which I tune differently)
--peg-tuned 10 x 25 kpanlogo drum (tweneboa wood??)
--Remo 6 x 11 "kanago" talking drum
--LP 8 x 17 talking drum
--small FAT conga cajon (segundo?)
--seated model Fat conga wih strings inside
--Zildjian Avedis 12" brilliant splash cymbal (1980's)
--Zildjian Avedis 14" thin crash cymbal
--Meinl 20" "Profile series" rock velvet ride cymbal
--LP granite block set
--11 x 27 oak ashiko
--Isla okonkolo bata in cherry wood (a custom one-off)

and, quite a lot of other percussion stuff such as claves, cowbells, guiros, jam blocks, wood blocks, cabasa, sticks and mallets, shakers, rain sticks, tambourines, chimes, etc.

So how about you guys?

Edited By Whopbamboom on 1195002141
Last edited by Whopbamboom on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Whopbamboom

Postby congamyk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:40 am

Remo Trilok Gurtu kick-conga

What is this like? I've seen pics and always wondered.

Other than congas, I seem to collect a lot of:

Shakers
Meinl, LP, too many to list.

Shekere's
LP, Mienl, Lawton and home made. Meinl looks the best but the Lawton can be heard a block away.

Pandeiro
Contemporanea 8", 10" and 12" synthetic. Meinl 10" wood. RMV 10" synthetic and Remo 14" juggling pandeiro with an amazing starburst design.

Roland Handsonic
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=765
I was able to get rid of a ton of stuff I had when I acquired my Roland Handsonic.
It has 400+ acoustically sampled percussion instruments and effects and can be played by hand like udu, tablas, frame drums, surdo, etc. Check out the videos of Luis Conte and others playing it at their website above.

Edited By congamyk on 1192523009
congamyk

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:05 am

Congamyk,

I have not yet spent a lot of time with the "Remo kick-conga". Been spending more time with other stuff. But I did have a quickie inspection of it when it came in, so I can at least report on my precursory findings.

It is actually a lot smaller of a drum than I thought it would be. Nowhere near the size of a conga. The body of the drum might not be any larger than twice the size of a "Junior conga". It is not a drum that can be played standing up-- you'd have to be seated to play it.
I wasn't really impressed with the kick pedal assembly, but to be fair, I don't think I had it adjusted properly at the time.
I will report back on this drum later when I've had a chance to mess with it more. When I do, I'll bring up the old thread that is specifically for this particular drum.

As for the stuff you have-- I was unaware of the Lawton items. Do they have a website?
Whopbamboom

Postby congamyk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 am

I have seen pics of the Remo Kick Conga (Trilok Gurtu) but never knew anyone that had one.

Lawton's website
congamyk

Postby Garvin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:32 pm

This stuff... I'm missing a couple of drum kits in this photo, but this is basically all my stuff...
Garvin

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:13 pm

Garvin,

Is that large shekere made by Pearl, or?

And, leaning up against a conga, between the LP practice conga and the djun-djun, is a black instrument. What is that?
Whopbamboom

Postby Garvin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:06 pm

That shekere was made by a friend of mine in Utah. We had a big gourd festival and made all kinds of stuff. He gave it to me. It's loud as hell, and gets heavy after about 5 minutes, but sounds great.

That black thing has been identified as a "Tibetan Prayer drum". I thought it looked like a small mrdungam. It has two globs on either side, like tabla. It is actually really dead now and almost only used as a decorative piece. But it was a drum nonetheless so it made the photo.
Garvin

Re: Another what kind/how many post

Postby Whopbamboom » Tue May 06, 2008 8:07 pm

Congamyk, I sold the kick conga on eBay. It wasn't too useful at all. Waste of time/money in my opinion, but who knows what someone else could do with it.
Whopbamboom

Return to Other instruments