Cajon snare?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby chris hansen » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:18 am

Hello,

I'm thinking of making a cajon. The box should be easy enough but I'm looking for tips for the snare. What to use, how to mount it, should I/could I make it adjustable, where to locate it?

I looked at some of the older threads but didn't see these things discussed.

Thanks.
chris hansen

Postby Diceman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Chris,

Just been through a similar process.
I got hold of a 10" piccolo snare placed it behind the front face, and pulled the nylon tapes through each side as close to the top as possible, punched a couple of holes in the tapes and tied some non stretch cord around the back. Then using a short piece of stick at the rear of the cajon, wound the cord until it tensioned the snare as I wanted it. This makes for a lightweight snare tension device.
I have now moved on and bought and fixed a Pearl piccolo snare tensioner and butt (??) so I can fine tune the snare tension. When it is released you get the Peruvian dry sound ie the snare comes away from the front panel.
Works a friggin' treat.
Incidentally I modified a Meinl cajon with a brush type snare and had to get rid of it because it sounded bloody awful and was a total waste of moolah.
Good luck with your cajon, man

suave
Diceman
Diceman

Postby Tonio » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:47 am

Here's a link that may help you. Good luck w/ Japanese. Actually I used the skeleton rules to follow without snares. I had to make one in about 4 days just for a gig :p
There should be some more on the inet, but lots of riff raff these days.

http://www.zoscajon.com/netemate/

T
Tonio

Postby chris hansen » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 am

Thanks for the tips! I'm probably going to start cutting wood today.
chris hansen

Return to Other instruments