Which drums for a set?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby larry » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:24 pm

So I am about to get my first set :D YEAH! I have decided on a set of Meinl marathons (bsed upon reviews cost info I have read here and the fact that I'm new to all this) But I'm don't know if I should get Quinto-conga OR Conga-Tumba or Quinto-Tumba - Please help a new guy out! What are your recommendations?

THANKS! Larry
larry

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi Larry ...Congratulations! Usually it's qunto- tumba,and the conga is added later,Once you learn to play three congas. Hope this helps...At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby larry » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:18 pm

So next question? it seems that all the sets I've seen (in stores etc...) are always quinto-conga or occassionally conga-tumba - SO why do they do that? and what is the advantage of the quinto-tumba - is it the wide difference in pitch/tone?

Just trying to become smarter - thanks for the help!
larry

Postby REQUINTOFUNK » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:01 am

larry, if you go for the quinto-tumba, you will not be producing the "conga" size sound and tone as you would with a conga size drum......quinto sounds to loose for me when you tune it to a conga.......conga and tumba is classic set-up and also the correct way......quinto-tumba is usually or was the "cuban" method of conga playing to produce high pitched slaps and high pitched notes......conga and tumba is the strawberries and bananas of the set ups. good luck.
REQUINTOFUNK

Postby KingKongas » Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:39 am

Hey Larry. I would definitely NOT go quinto-conga. Ask yourself how far you are willing to go in investing in drums. Of course the sweetest deal would be quinto-conga-tumba. But say for e.g. you have a set of bongos already... I would opt for the conga-tumba combo first. But definitely work your way into a nice quinto. There's nothing like it. A tight conga doesnt really cut it but it may suffice for a while.
KingKongas

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:00 pm

To each his own ....quinto -tumba is 'standard" approach,then add the conga. It's always been like that since I started playing in 1964. but like I said to each his own.....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:02 pm

King Kongas...what do u mean by a "tight conga"...is that some new term you've invented?....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:06 pm

If you have ever seen any major player play,including Mongo you will see the quinto in the middle then conga to the left and tumba to the right.....Does anybody here know about tuning conga drums????....c.mon guys making up your own rules...check the rule book first ok.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby 120decibels » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:28 pm

Take it easy Johnny! Who pissed in your cornflakes today? :D

While I give Johnny a little crap for his approach, I do agree that you should not throw away 100 years of ingenuity and experience. Check out what others have done first.

I'd definitely go with the quinto-tumba combo to start. It is the traditional way to go. It also gives you the widest range of sounds and pitches of the three possible two drum combos.

You're right, a lot of drum stores package quinto-conga and conga-tumba combos, but no quinto-tumba combos. There are two reasons for this. First, your average guitar center drum shop manager know's little about the history, tuning, good use, etc. of congas. Second, if they sell you a quinto-conga or a conga-tumba set, you're immediately going to want the third drum to fill out the range. BUSINESS!!!

Zach
120decibels

Postby larry » Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:53 pm

PASSION! Man I love it when people are passionate about what they do! :D

I asked for an opinion and I'm getting them - fantastic!

SO - Johnny C. where do I find - "The rule book"? Here I am about to order a set of drums and I don't even know how to tune them and doubt that the guys in the music shop will be able to help much -

If I go with the Quinto - Tumba combo what interval should they be tuned to? I believe a conga-tumba is suppose to be a 4th or 5th but what about a Quinto-tumba.

I'm begining the search for an instructor but so far no luck. ??? I'm in the Augusta Georgia Area.

Keep up the discussion I'm learnign a ton!! THANKS for the feed back! ALL You guys are great. ;)
larry

Postby KingKongas » Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:11 pm

Hey JC... From one Bronxite to another... DONT BUST A LUG NUT, OK? I was referring to people suggesting loosening or tightening one drum to "sound" more like another drum to try and compensate. Not everyone has the full complement of drums available to them. Dont tell me you are also the Forum Censurer too?!?!?

There are already excellent posts in this Forum about the correct way of tuning drums.

I dont disagree that the quinto-tumba is the more established 2 drum combo. By the way... I myself started with a quinto-tumba "in the old school way"... and added my conga a short time later... There are those who use a 2 conga 1 tumba setup, as we all know, and I think that by just sharing all this info will give someone a wider choice.
KingKongas

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:10 pm

mE BUST A LUG NUT,,NEVER!.....Forum Censor NEVER!...I just get a kick out of these cats coming up today making stuff up like it is really part of the whole scene of playing. Excuse me I didn't mean to ruffle your conga.....from one Bronxite to another-DeWitt Clinton in the house!......your advice is well taken.....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Michael S » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:43 pm

IMHO, the two conga, one tumba setup works well for contemporary, pop, or rock music. Even non-latin jazz. I view the quinto more as a solo instrument, working best in Latin music. Where am I going wrong?
Michael S

Return to CongaSet and accessories