Drum Weight - Dumb curiousity

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:11 pm

I'd like to have an idea of how much wooden drums vary in weight--comparing like-sized drums. I have only a quinto--it weighs ~29 lbs.

Does anyone else have the time to waste to check the weight of their drums? I know this is a silly exercise, but inquiring minds want to know. I've seen comments about particular drums seeming 'heavy' or 'light', and I'd just like to see roughly what the range of weights is for each drum size.
Bongo Boy

Postby benbaboon » Thu Feb 07, 2002 1:25 am

Bongo,
Your drum would be considered heavy. The variety in drum weight is pretty large. I recently had an old gon bops that was significantly lighter than that.... not quite sure by how much.
-bb
benbaboon

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Feb 07, 2002 3:44 pm

:D Hi Guys My congas are made from Thai Oak which is like carrying a Tree,very heavy wood. Phillipine Mahogony is the lightest wood i've ever played on. there are varying degrees in, like I said as hard as oak and as soft as P.mahogony. Of course I have a wooden quinto that isn't heavy ,but it is a smaller drum,less staves. More staves the heavier the drum along with type of wood. Hope that helps..Drummer for Peace..JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:01 pm

Aw c'mon guys, I was lookin' for numbers! Data! Specs! Let's get out those bathroom scales--I want some conga-hoisting!!
Bongo Boy

Postby gav » Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:29 pm

I must be soooo sad. I tried this, after much nagging from my girlfriend, dragged the scales upstairs, smacked the congas on, and they didnt register!!!

Boy did my missus take great pride in winding me up about this...
the Gavster
gav

Postby Mbalax » Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:59 pm

i have somthing courious for you, my Meinl Mongo Santamaria quinto is more heavy than the conga, the quinto weights 13 kg. = 28.65 lbs. and the conga 11 kg.=24.25 lbs. they are made of two ply of ash (Fraxinus americana).
I think that the quinto staves are more fat.

excuse my poor english ;)

Vamos rumberos que la rumba ya va empezar.
Dani
Mbalax

Postby Marcelo » Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:23 am

Mbalax wrote:i have somthing courious for you, my Meinl Mongo Santamaria quinto is more heavy than the conga, the quinto weights 13 kg. = 28.65 lbs. and the conga 11 kg.=24.25 lbs. they are made of two ply of ash (Fraxinus americana).
I think that the quinto staves are more fat.

excuse my poor english ;)

Vamos rumberos que la rumba ya va empezar.

I have a LP Matador trio of Congas (quinto, conga y tumbadora) and all 3 weight the same: 12 kgs.= 26.4 lbs.
Marcelo

Postby congabebe » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:37 pm

My 2 cents... Before the gig they are light as a feather. After the gig, it is like trying to force an elephant into the car against it's will. For a more serious answer, I think some web sites list the weight on each drum, Toca has weights listed, I think and measurements.

Peace,
Congabebe ;)
congabebe

Return to CongaSet and accessories