Conga Shell Repair - A crack under the side plate

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Sakuntu » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:47 am

Hi Folks,

I got an old Cosmic Percussion Matador Quinto (yes the first Matadors were by CP-the only difference between mine and the new LP styles is that mine is 28 inches and has a traditional rim) but on to my question...

The drum is over 15 years old and I've beat the crap out of it. It has since formed a small crack below one of the "Horned" Side plates that opens as I tighten the drum and closes as I loosen it. I'm assuming its coming from where the bolt goes through the shell to hold the side plate on. I want to refinsh this drum and fix it up. any ideas on fixing that crack? i was thinking of tightening the head so it opens a bit and then stuffing in some really good wood glue or opoxy resin and then loosing it up so it closes and bonds. what do you guys think?

-Sakuntu
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby burke » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:37 pm

PL Premium is my glue of choice - It's a waterproof construction adhesive - very strong!
Burke
burke

Postby deadhead » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Get some ratchet straps from walmart or home depot, the kind that you crank to tighten. Use your wood glue on the crack and crank the straps around the drum as tight as possible. Let it sit for a day or 2.
deadhead

Postby GuruPimpi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:38 pm

Ratched straps, that's the word for it... Improving english conga-repair-terminology :)

Deadheads tip worked for mine conga too...

Pimpi
GuruPimpi

Postby yoni » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:37 pm

If no ratchet straps are available, winding layers of rope tight around the drum has the same vise-like effect. Each wrap squeezes it tighter.
yoni

Return to Open Discussion