Slapping the djembe?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby chris hansen » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:24 pm

Hello,

Are there any videos or something on the net showing how to do a slap on a djembe? I've been shown how to do it on conga but it sounds like djembe technique is different?

Thanks
chris hansen

Postby akdom » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm

HI

there are tons of videos on the net for the slap on the djembe.

The difference in thechnique is that you do not "cup" your hands to slap a djembe. The hand shuld remain in the same position as the ton, but slightly closer to the center of the skin.

B
akdom

Postby zaragenca » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:30 pm

Ummm,akdom... an experience Djembe player would have around five differents slapping,incluring the cup one,(remember it is a kind of vocalization),and the Djembe is more responsive to those articulations...In that subject it have been the reason for me to have even african/percussionists as students since through my incorporation of articulations I have been able to extend the vocabulary and they have observed that when playing with me which have been,senegales,one ghanian,south africans,and guineans.Dr.Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragenca

Postby 35-1169066129 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:34 pm

I'm confused...is 2 Zara's the same or what? I see 2 zara's??????
35-1169066129

Postby Smejmoon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:06 am

Somehow I must say, that videos will not help much to learn djembe slap. From outside it can look the same as open tone, just is more relaxed. You must learn to control which parts of your fingers hit skin and which mute afterwards. The goal is to bring out overtones and mute the prime frequency.

On web check this material: http://www.silvercircle.org/yankadi/playing.htm

I also agree with posters above, that djembe has a lots of different slap sounds you can get out of it.

Edited By Smejmoon on 1170220070
Smejmoon

Postby zaragenca » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:58 pm

Welcome,all the Zara's are the same Zaragemca,I have some problems logging in with the first name.Dr. Zaragemca
zaragenca

Postby 35-1169066129 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:24 am

Ok, Thank you Dr Z. You are a Man of knowledge I see from reading your comments. Good job.
35-1169066129

Postby Sakuntu » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:12 am

To me a djembe slap is just like doing an open slap on the conga. put your hand in the slap position and let your fingers bounce. (your not forcing to make you hand cup in anyway, it just forms a natural cup by focusing the energy on the outside of your hand. your fingers just go along for the ride and bounce of the head making the "Open slap" sound. ) For me its the same technique when i want an open slap on a conga. Slaps on any drum should take minimal energy. I think congueros have such a hard time with the djembe because they are trying to mute the sound to much (a thick head conga slap has the dry sound) but the approach of a djembe slap is to let the thin goat skin ring out. Its a different dynamic. the technique is the same its just getting used to the voice of the drum and letting it sing the sound it was made for. Man...I sound all philosophical....yuck :D
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby zaragenca » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:38 pm

Welcome Sakuntu,if you are playing for fun,or to incorporate the Djembe in regular popular music, you idea is ok,...But playing the Djembe with knowledge of what it means when you are playing with africans is something else,(that's what I mean when I said that there are differents slapping to articullate the vocalization in the Djembe.Dr. Zaragemca
zaragenca

Postby akdom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:52 am

Interesting topic..

I learnt the djembe with west africans... and yes, there are many different ways to slap, but the first "original" way is not cupped at all... the rest is more feeling and personal interpretation.

In traditional music, when no solo is involved, the slap is not cupped but the hand is relaxed, fingers naturally spread...

B
akdom

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:09 am

My first slap technique was shown to me as Akdom said;
natural, fingers relaxed and a bit spread, not together,
hit a little bit more towards center of a drum than open tone... or not...

Dr.Z; could you write down some vocalizations for those 5 slaps, tones and other sounds... It would be great! Thanks,

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby Attilio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:21 pm

I can agree to akdom and what he says about the "original" slap, the rest is feeling, different tension in the fingers or pressure, but all by inspiration.
As I play the Djembe for many years now, I often meet people that look at the slap as the main Djembe stroke, I think it is just the easiest one. It is much harder to play constant warm but still driving Opens or a Bass that is Powerfull and solid but not covering the rest of the sound.
If you have ever played solo with just Opens and Bass on the Djembe, using no slaps, you'll know the challenge.

:O
Drumming is the universal language. :O Let's start playing!
Attilio

Postby Attilio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:53 pm

My little Mira also slaps well!

And she really has the tecnique, but not the control where to hit!

:cool:
Drumming is the universal language. :O Let's start playing!
Attilio

Postby Sakuntu » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:28 am

Awesome! nothing like training your kids when they are young. I'm sure she'll love the drum as much as her Daddy! great shot!
Sakuntu
Sakuntu

Postby zaragenca » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Welcome GuruPimpi,people in this forum know that I don't like to write things on the internet,and my agreement with my students doesn't allowed me to do it neither,(it is unfair for them),,but just the cup/slap was not used by africans,(before I did start teaching africans),now I could tell you that there some africas using that technique which I brought in from the Congas,...also as I said before, I'm the first professional cuban percussionist to incorporate the Djembe,(as lead), in an official Guaguanco/Ensemble,and in the Ethiopian music.Dr. Zaragemca
zaragenca

Next

Return to Other instruments