Buying Advice Needed - upgrading congas

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby DaveHines » Sun Jun 03, 2001 5:42 pm

Hi all......Great forum. I'm considering upgrading my Matador 3 piece set (fiberglass), to the LP classic set (fiberglass). Is there enough difference between the two models to justify the greater expense? My music is my income, so extra cash is hard to come by. I'd go see for myself, but the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. I'd like to save myself the trip if you all think it may not be necessary.
DaveHines

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 03, 2001 7:51 pm

Hi Dave,
I can only talk about the WOODEN models of Lp Classic and Matador, but if being compared, they are not much of a difference and at the same time different. Paradoxical? No, I mean different does not really mean worse or better, does it?
With my wooden LP Classic and Matador drums I can say the biggest difference is the quality of the skins! I even thought about mounting a better skin on the Matador. Construction and hardware seem to be pretty much the same. AND: The new Matador congas have the Soft Strike Rim which is pretty good.
No matter what dealers say: Just try on your own, even if it is a 2 hoursĀ“drive
Mike

Postby CongaMan » Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:51 pm

Hi David,
what's wrong with your matador congas?
If you don't like the sound, as Mike said, may be you can try to change the skin first and see what happens... let me know..
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby DaveHines » Mon Jun 04, 2001 12:59 am

Thanks for the thoughts fellas.........The reason I was thinking about upgrading is because every time I step up to better quality drum, I realize I've improved a great deal (i.e. your only as good as the materials you work with...)
As far as the skins are concerned.......I've been unable to find replacement skins better than the ones that come with the matadors from the factory. Should I just pick up LP heads and use them on the matadors? Will they fit as well? I'm not quite industrious to make my own. Thanks again for the help.
DaveHines

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 04, 2001 6:00 am

I think the LP heads should fit - as long as you donĀ“t pick the Giovanni stuff. By the way, another experiment could be the synthetic heads - they are also available for exact LP sizes. (Although I am not too sure if a fiberdrum works well with plastics!?!)

Good luck&good drumming
Mike

Postby paulo da salvia » Wed Jun 06, 2001 1:14 pm

Hi Davel,
my opinion is: if you can afford the expense, buy LP.
I agree with Mike when he says that different doesn't really means better, but I've ever seen LP WOODEN classic much better than Matador.
And my experience with synthetic heads is negative: sound is not bad, but i don't really like the 'touch' especially for the Tumbao technic.
Stay tuned!!
Paulo
paulo da salvia

Return to CongaSet and accessories