Practical Gigging Question - Hardware

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby JDmonteca » Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:23 am

I am new to the site and I am very impressed so far.

I am a locally gigging percussionist in Austin, Texas. At first I used bring the entire house to every gig. I've since been striving to scale down to get more from less in the spirit of portability (lugging all my stuff got old). I managed to eliminate all my hardware except my timbal and conga stands. I prefer to play congas live standing up so my final dilema is finding the best way to pack and haul my LP cradle stands in and out of 6th street. They are pretty heavy and they don't really fit in any gig bags or cases. Has anyone else found a solution to this or know of any other more portable stands of equal quality. Thanks in advance. JD
JDmonteca

Postby tamboricua » Thu Nov 07, 2002 2:46 am

Guest wrote:I am new to the site and I am very impressed so far.

I am a locally gigging percussionist in Austin, Texas. At first I used bring the entire house to every gig. I've since been striving to scale down to get more from less in the spirit of portability (lugging all my stuff got old). I managed to eliminate all my hardware except my timbal and conga stands. I prefer to play congas live standing up so my final dilema is finding the best way to pack and haul my LP cradle stands in and out of 6th street. They are pretty heavy and they don't really fit in any gig bags or cases. Has anyone else found a solution to this or know of any other more portable stands of equal quality. Thanks in advance. JD

Hi JD, hope all is well! Check out the LP double conga stand. Definitely less weight and easier to carry around than the LP cradles. With who do you play in Austin? I do play ocasionally at Miguel's La Bodega. I'm base in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Hope this helps!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Postby JDmonteca » Thu Nov 07, 2002 4:20 pm

Thanks for the response Jorge. I've been considering the Double conga stand. I've seen that Meinl has some cradles that are collapsable and maybe more portable. They might be kind of flimsy. I don't know.

I play in the Dr. Zog band. It's a lot less traditional than what you probably play at Miguel's (great club by the way) but it's a lot of fun. We play primarily New Orleans funk, some Zydeco, but also a lot of latin and world beat based stuff (sukos, calypso, highlife, Mozambique, Samba, Songo, etc.). It's a real mixed bag. I used to concentrate on traditional beats but as percussionist in this band I've gotten to really spread my wings and even play a little rubboard on the Zydeco stuff. I've managed to write my parts around 2 congas (conga, tumba), 2 timbales (14 and 15" brass) and a few extras. We typically play at B.D Riley's, Momo's, The vibe, Ego's and places like that. If you ever in Austin, please look for us. Just by chance we were lucky enough to get booked playing at the Texas State Fair on the Chevorlet Stage. Other than that we don't get to Dallas or out of Austin much. Check out our website: http://www.drzog.com

Do you know when you might be playing Austin again?
JDmonteca

Postby tamboricua » Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:02 pm

No problem JD! Yeah, those Meinl new conga stands look very portable. I haven't try'em! Check out your local percussion store. Man, your gig sounds like a lot of fun. Right now, I don't have any up coming gigs in Austin. I'll keep you posted!

Saludos, Jorge Ginorio

http://www.rhythmweb.com/jorge
tamboricua

Return to CongaSet and accessories