ANGA R.I.P. - obituary

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Berimbau » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:38 pm

There's a report that Anga has passed....I hope this is not true>

It is my very sad duty to inform you all that the gifted Cuban
percussionist Miguel Díaz-"Angá" of Irakere fame passed away suddenly in Barcelona, Spain
on Wednesday night August 9th, he was only 45 years of age. Angá had been living in Barcelona since 2003. His latest group was a multi-nationality group playing a blend of Cuban, Brazilian, jazz and hip hop music.
They last performed on the 3rd and 4th of August in Barcelona in the Catalán province of Spain. No details of of his passing have been made public yet.

Miguel Díaz was part of the late 1980s and '90s edition of Irakere, check out his performance on Live At Ronnie Scott's for the Pacific Jazz/Blue Note label on the track Flute Notes where he and flutist "Maraca"-Orlando Valle trade fours repeating each others solos on congas and flute respectiviely.
Angá is considered along with Puerto Rican Giovanni Hidalgo-
"Mañenguito" as the 2 best congueros of the last 20 years. Díaz's latest album was for the
World Circuit label, Echu Mingua is the title, check out his
modernistic
renditions of A Love Supreme and Round Midnight. Miguel is featured prominently on the Grammy winning Roy Hargrove disc, "Crisol".Another fabulous album by Angá is Passport for Enja with his heroe, the veteran Tata Güines. Díaz also appears with Steve Coleman and the Afro Cubans recorded in Cuba, the late Ibrahim Ferrer's Buenos Hermanos, Ry Cooder's Mambo Sinuendo
and other solo recordings from the family of Buena Vista Social Club as well as many Irakere recordings and numerous guest appearances.

One of my favorite aspects of Angá is that he had all of the
traditional and fundamental tools at his disposal, an outstanding practioner of Afro-Cuban roots music, yet he had jazz chops and an open mind to incorporateworld
rhythms in a delightful fusion. His passing at 45 years of age is
difficult to accept, we will have to wait and see as Ricky Ricardo would've said, "whaappaned" that Miguel Aurelio Díaz-Angá has died so young.

Arturo Gómez
Music Director, jazz89KUVO
The Oasis In The City
Colorado's First HD FM Radio Station
Celebrating 10 Years of Live Performances!
2006 & 2005 Jazz Station of the Year!!

With Great Sadness,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:23 pm

WHAT??????????????????>>>U GOT TO BE KIDDING...FROM WHAT? HOW?....."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:48 pm

It is TRUE...Anga has passed..they have not said as of yet "how" he passed, I hope it wasn't drugs....."JC" Johnny Conga....he was only 45....####... :(
JohnnyConga

Postby Juzzi » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:19 pm

Yes, it is true. His longtime friend Carlos del Puerto called me and said he passed away. I am sad. I was looking forward meeting him. Didn't get the chance...
Juzzi

Postby bdrbongo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 pm

How sad, I am glad I got to see him and shake his beautifully gifted hands. May his soul find peace.
bdrbongo

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:51 am

With tears running down my face, utter shock and pain in my chest I write this..

I prayed it was not true, but it seems it is true.
I cant believe it.

My number 1 conguero, mentor and friend has passed. I cant stop the tears from running down my face.

I will remember him in my heart always. The legacy he left behind for everyone and future generations will never be forgotten. A man who had the biggest influence on my study of the drum, I am grateful for the time I was able to spend with him, the laughs we shared and the moments on drum together.

A true master, with a huge heart and incredible humbleness.

I will miss you, the world will miss you.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... CN2760.JPG
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Doctorumba » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:47 am

I met Anga in 1996.I was in Paris on the honeymoon of my second marriage.My late friend Emilio Vandenedes gave me Anga's number, as he was living in Paris at the time.I called him and we met for dinner that night, along with his lady,Maya,who was from French-Venezuelan extraction.While at dinner he showed me some incredible stuff with the left hand (mano secreta style) on top of the table,which annoyed my new wife (pero a mi que carajo).After dinner he suggested we go to the "New Morning" a club in Paris the was featuring "Maraca y Nueva Vision".Maraca had Vizcaino-Guillot on congas and invited Anga to sit in,which he kindly refused, as he had an early flight the next day with Roy Hardgrove to Israel.Anga and Maya were very cordial.That's the only time I ever saw him in person.
He was a great tumbador, from the school of Tata (Fifty).Orgullo de Pinar Del Rio.A very premature death ! Descansa en paz,paisano. Saludos, Dario
Doctorumba

Postby OLSONGO » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:03 am

Man oh man , one master conguero that I wanted to meet and didn't get to, what is going on ? all of this bros passing on.
May the all mighty keep him in his kingdom.
And lately I was really listening to him, during the weekend gig; in the brakes I was playing his music. Wow just can't believe it.

Amor, paz y rumba OLSONGO
OLSONGO

Postby windhorse » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:24 am

I'm really sorry to hear this!! Especially for those of you who were close to him like Abakua..
:(

May he rest in peace..

Much love,
Dave
windhorse

Postby yoni » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:04 am

What awful, shocking news. May Anga rest in peace.
What a great musician. Just 2 weeks ago I found his CD 'Echu Mingua'. It was the only one they had of his and the last copy. Yes, his versions of 'Round Midnight' and 'A Love Supreme' are beautiful. Track #6, 'Gandinga Mondongo Sandunga', blows me away. I must find more of his music, only heard parts here & there.

How lucky we are that he left great music with us.
How lucky some are to have spent time with him, like ABAKUA.
Hearts go out to him and others who mourn.

Anga's spirit and music live on forever.
yoni

Postby gilbert » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:06 am

i'm really chocked i've read in another forum that he died with a heart stroke and he was only 45 years old

Edited By gilbert on 1155283733
gilbert

Postby Diceman » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:53 am

I am in denial, so young and influencing so many people.We are never going to know where he was taking the drums.
I saw him recently and was inspired by his ideas. He has left a huge legacy and pointed us in a new direction.

My heart goes out to all those close to him and who met him. Abakua, sorry man, it must be difficult.

Diceman
Diceman

Postby pavloconga » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:05 am

All crew at Congaboard all around the world, this is a sad day for us.

I can't really believe it either, but I know it must be true. It was just a few short months ago I met him, here in my city, with my bros and we all hung out at a friend's home and shared food, drink, music, dance, conversation and a good laugh. Anga was not only one of my all time favourite percussionists but he was also a great inspiration to me and countless other percussionists around the world.

May you truly rest in peace and serenity Miguel Anga Diaz.

Pavlo
Australia

Edited By pavloconga on 1155288176
pavloconga

Postby Charangaman » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:41 am

I'm just gutted to hear this, condolences to all who knew him. His gig at the barbican blew my mind, I will hold memories of that night dearly.. What a generous and couragous artist he was, he took Cuban music into new directions...
Charangaman

Postby onile » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm

¡Que pena me da!
¡Miguel Díaz-"Angá" Ibaye ‘baye torun!

Fuiste Rumbero Mayor!

Con Sentimiento Papa!

Onile

Edited By onile on 1155316595
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Next

Return to Open Discussion