trap table - homeade trap table

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby congabebe » Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:39 pm

Trap tables,
I couldn't afford one, not when I had a tumba and other instruments on my list to buy. I ended up with an extra double conga stand. I thought surely I can use this for a trap table, but wood was too much trouble and the bolts would have to be longer to go through anything more that a 1/4inch, so I came up with something handy that would work and I want to share it with everyone. I took a metal shelf that you buy for ventilated shelving in a closet, the white wire/rubber coated ones they advertise all the time in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. You know the kind. This is the one that has a rail on it but not the kind that uses the rod down the middle for hanging close. This was from a shelf kit I got. I think it is 2 1/2 feet wide and 12 inches deep. I turned it over onto the top of the conga double stand. I took 1 inch metal washers to hold the metal shelf in place and thumb shrews that came with the stand to fasten it down. Of course you end up with a table with a ridge in the center and a lip on one side that keeps things from rolling off, but you can lay a large bath towel over it and it works great. The draw back is that you can't put a lot of weight on it, and if you are limited in space on stage sometimes it is too wide. But you can get different widths cut for different sizes. Let me know if you try it and like it.

Peace,
congabebe
congabebe

Postby 120decibels » Tue Oct 29, 2002 5:01 pm

Congabebe and all,

That's a good piece of engineering. It inspired me to share my own experince with trap tables (also an extension of Johnny's use of common restaurant materials in a percussionist's setup :D ):

When I was in college, I couldn't afford much but needed a trap table for the pit work I was doing for the music theater department. That was when my percussion prof gave me a good idea. I used one of those folding tray table gizmos that restaurant wait staff use to set trays of food on. I stapled some carpet to a small peice of plywood to set on top of the legs like a food tray and I was off and running. I like that setup and have used it many times since.

You can get the folding table legs from any restaurant or you can make your own. They are really stable and work great.

Zach
120decibels

Postby congabebe » Wed Oct 30, 2002 12:03 am

Zach,
I thought about doing that. We use about 5 of them for various stands for our sound equipment. So far they have held up to a ton of weight being put on them. The keyboard stands they sell would work also. I just used my conga stand cause it was handy and that metal shelf was an attic item I had handy also. Thanks for your input.

congabebe
:)
congabebe

Return to CongaSet and accessories