Latin Percussion Congas - Who can contest that they are the best?

Manufacturers, brands, skins, maintenance, stands, sticks, michrophones and other accessories for congueros can be discussed into this forum ...... leave your experience or express your doubts!

Postby DJAnyStyle » Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:40 pm

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but the heritage speaks for itself.

Anyone have any boasts of other brands, or are LP Congas actually the best?

-DJAnyStyle
DJAnyStyle

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:27 am

I personally prefer the LP to any other brands. Many people in the forum has their own preference, but LP is durable and economical.
RayBoogie

Postby DJAnyStyle » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:21 am

LP is pretty nuts. Love em to death!

Both the Bongos and the Congas.

-DJAnyStyle
DJAnyStyle

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:21 am

Same here I swear by them.
RayBoogie

Postby DJAnyStyle » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:32 pm

Ever transport your congas?

If so, what do you carry them in? Looking for good cases.

-DJAnyStyle ???
DJAnyStyle

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:30 pm

:D Granted LP has the history but there are a lot of good drums out there. like "Skin on skin" by Jay, Moperc's in Canada, Pearl Elite fiberglass which I endorse. Timba congas on the West coast. But to each his own. I use fiber cases for traveling and Hard rubber cases also for traveling. with my congas. :D At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:24 am

Heritage? I don't get it. This is a manufactured product made in a factory--not a family. Now, a lot of the work may be done by hand, and any done using a machine is done by a human controlling that machine. I think the designs are great, I think the materials are great. But it's still an inanimate, manufactured product.

It's easy to contest the notion that LP makes the best--'best' is defined by the drum owner--not by anyone esle. It's like asking what's the best, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes. The question doesn't make any sense--like, what's the best, blue or red?

This reminds me of the decals I see on Fords--the little guy pissing on the Chevy. And the same sticker on the chevy's--the same guy pissing on the Fords. Nothing could be more laughable! They're both crap, clearly!! :D

There's a factory, there's a product, and there's sales & marketing. Each of these things has a history, but not a heritage! No more so than the factories that pump out the Fords and Chevys mentioned above...and I think that goes for your finest "hand crafted" conga, too. Loving your product and using a lot of manual labor to make it doesn't give it heritage, just a lower margin.

Edited By Bongo Boy on June 29 2002 at 22:42
Bongo Boy

Postby Mike Gallichio » Sun Jun 30, 2002 1:30 pm

The Best? This sounds funny to me it's like 2 auto mechanics saying one 1/4 inch wrench is better than another 1/4 inch wrench. It is a tool. Unlike the wrench we play different styles. We use our tools to make music. I have LP wood and fiberglass congas and Like them, I think a LP fiberglass conga will last forever with minimum maintenance. I have one that is over 30 years old and it still sounds great. I also have Moperc congas and like them as well. thay have a warm, full, rich, open, natural sound. I use different drums for different situations. Yes some are built better than others. Some cost more than others. Don't go by what you have heard top conga players say because money talks. Some are honest and will tell you the truth. But some play one brand in public because they get paid to play them. Then they go home and play another brand because they love them. I think we live in a great time when congas are all over the place, in all diffrent price ranges. In all kinds of music. Made from a lot of different materals. A lot to choose from. Dont get confused. Check them all out and remember the reason you are purchasing them, home use, on the road, just for fun, Recording, Professionally, drum circles, teaching ect. What kind of sound do you like. Warm? Brite? It all makes a diffrence. Communication is the key, It's fun to talk about this stuff. Get opinions from other players ask to try their drums but in the end pick what you like and believe in yourself. Trust your ears. Pick what pleases you. The quality on most congas today is very high due to the conga companys competing with each other, some brands are made in the same factory. The consumer wins in the end. Most important is to spend most of your time learing, playing,teaching, enjoying. Dont get hung up in the tools of the trade
Have Fun
Mike Gallichio
Mike Gallichio

Postby Bongo Boy » Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:13 pm

Guest wrote:Don't go by what you have heard top conga players say because money talks. Some are honest and will tell you the truth. But some play one brand in public because they get paid to play them.

...and I think you might be hard-pressed to find endorsers SAYING anything at all about the drums they endorse. That's the beauty of endorsement marketing--the endorser does so merely by his/her association with the product. Most of the endorsement message (like 99%) is simply left to the market's imagination.

I have to agree with Mike, except I wouldn't call a musical instrument a 'tool', except from the perspective of music-as-profession. But's it's not a religious icon either!
Bongo Boy

Postby DJAnyStyle » Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:30 pm

I'm glad the passion for what we do truly came through in all posts replying to the brand and quality of our instruments!

I've been a DJ for 13 years (turntablism, hip-hop, house, electronic, and just good stuff) and know that your gear is solely based on experience with it and personal preference. Every one of us has a different style, flavor, preference in tone, etc. Just starting on the Congas, I've always wanted to play, lead me to the same discovery.

I am certain that almost every brand has its desirable attributes, sound and personality. After some extensive research and the trustworthy recommendation of my very wise and experienced Master, Luis Andino, I chose LP. I loved the sound and feel that they produced - and am very happy with my choice.

<Sidenote to BongoBoy: Heritage is a widely used marketing term for products as well as when referencing ours...>

To each their own. Thanks for all of the info!

DJAnyStyle :)
DJAnyStyle

Postby Bongo Boy » Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:28 am

Welcome DJAnyStyle!!! Glad to have you here. Have you been lurking for some time, or just happen upon the 'Board recently, or just register, etc? Just curious.
Bongo Boy

Postby DJAnyStyle » Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:25 am

New to the board.

Actually recently discovered the site.

Only cool place I know of to voice and bounce ideas around on the Conga.

-DJAnyStyle ;)
DJAnyStyle

Postby Percman » Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:03 pm

The differences in the congas are not always what meets the eye. Not only with wood but fiberglass drums as well. There is some good information in the LP catalog about drum construction. Even with mass produced congas much hand work is involved.
Percman

Postby michaelrosario » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:14 pm

i wrote something under the topic...........
How much the pro modify their congas..... please check it out.. give me some feed-back....michaelangelo rosario
michaelrosario

Postby carlitos » Fri Oct 25, 2002 9:29 am

I have played on LP's and a brand called King Conga which is no longer available the Kings were also fiberglass but had a much deeper sound than LP's. Myself I prefer Gon Bops that's what I play. :)
carlitos

Return to CongaSet and accessories