Got my Handsonic! - Got it, Man!!!

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby onile » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:16 am

Alafia Abure Diceman!
I hope that you are quite well my brother and in an abundance of blessings!

Yo! Bro, RESPECT! You are braving the new device "live", that takes courage, I have to admit though, I'm much like the "Cowardly Lion" I lack courage, "Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruff! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruff!"

I'm still going to get one however, but I think it'll be used here at home for the first 25yrs. or so, until I master it! :p :D :laugh:

Many blessings to you my brother, and Respect!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby Diceman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:51 am

Onile,
Thanks for the encouragement brother.
If you go for pre recorded loops you will be using it live in 25days. The challenge is hitting the first loop ending on the button, after that the rest is 'quantised'
Go for it.
have a great holiday and may 2006 bring you all you could hope for.

respect
diceman
Diceman

Postby gilbert » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:35 pm

Hey

About the DigiTech JamMan Looper Pedal i dont think its Work Well with percussion instruments because the range of frequencies is not that Wide
so i think it doesnt cover our Wide spectrum of voices

As For the Boss RC20XL its new model i tried the older version RC20 its very good but the problem was in the memory storage and now its solved in the New XL one

for me i think a Combination of a Roland SPDS and a Boss RC20XL will give you all you dream of
gilbert

Postby onile » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Alafia Abure Gilbert!
Adupue! Thank you for the advice, never having dabbled in the "techno" aspect of percussion, I was going into it somewhat blindly!

The JamMan just appealed to me for the amount of looping storage available with it, didn't give any consideration to the percussive voice factor. Very critical!

Well, I guess it's back to the Boss RC20XL!

Alafia Abure Diceman!
Much Respect to you and yours!
May you also have a wonderfully splendid Holiday Season!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1135101177
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby congamyk » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:47 am

hey brothers sorry I've been away awhile.

gurupimpi the Toca is playing fine now. I removed the head and repositioned it and it plays perfectly in tune. Since we are talking about the handsonic, check this out.

http://www.hansenfutz.com/
This is the coolest gadget I've seen in years. It becomes a foot pedal for the handsonic and/or it was a clave bracket that is inexinexpensive and easy to use.

Edited By congamyk on 1135234173
congamyk

Postby Diceman » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:14 pm

Congamyk, hope you are well and keeping busy over the holiday,

I checked out the Futz, which sounds a great idea, anything to lighten my rig is welcome. But on talking to my friendly local drum shop, they advise that it is a bit flimsey and doesnt stand the rigours of the road.
Have you had any experience of one and what do you think?

sabor
Diceman
Diceman

Postby Diceman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:00 pm

Hi Onile and any udda brudda thinking of getting a Boss rc20xl
looper, or any other for that matter.
The first time I used it live, I had problems setting up the first loop live, which is the important one. I couldnt get the end of the loop 'on the button'.
By taking the left hand pedal apart and putting a small block in the slot which the stop bar runs in, cutting down its movement away from the switch, it made it easier to get the timing right. In other words I have got it set on a 'hair trigger'.
Works really well now.

my two guiros worth

Diceman
Diceman

Postby congamyk » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:35 pm

Has anyone seen the new Handsonic 10??

Smaller, and newer instruments ( like cajon), new backing rhythms and new features for almost half the cost. Check out this cool video.

New Handsonic 10 Video
congamyk

Postby gilbert » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:38 pm

talking about new products you guys should see the Boss RC50(WOW)
gilbert

Postby Bongorific » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:16 pm

I'm still reading the manual... :cool:
First thing I did was get a high-liter pen and pick out the most important parts. What I like is you can always go back to factory pre-sets. and start all over again. Once you get the proceedure for changing instruments and locating on pads you'll rock...
On another note I found a nice suit-case from Goodwill and foamed it out for transport. got $8 in foam and case and could drop it out a window and it would still be fine.
My only gripe is HH port doesn't offer alternative for a second exsternal drum. Once you put a foot-pedal on it your used up except for HH. My other Roland (SPD11) let you switch to allow another external pad
Good investment it's a band in a box....I love mine. Good Keyboard Amp is best for them it can cover all the frequencies and handle the Lows. Bass Amps don't cut it.
Bongorific

Postby GuruPimpi » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:46 pm

Hello!

Nice to read this thread! Haven't played mine Handsonic for three months now. Got enthusiastic again :D
It is great thing, but i use it mainly for some loops, effects, more as a tool than instrument. Can't beat the real thing. I enjoy much more with the acoustic instruments.

I still ain't no techie :D

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby congamyk » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:35 am

one of the most fun i've had is jamming with a conguero while I played the handsonic. I set the pace and let him solo over the top and then I come back with effects. now if i could only get a power source to play on the street
congamyk

Postby congamyk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:46 am

check this out, pretty tight.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kSHWVto_dqg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kSHWVto_dqg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
congamyk

Postby congamyk » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:49 am

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3War_G7zd6k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3War_G7zd6k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
congamyk

Postby 109-1176549166 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:23 am

I have an HPD-15 too! Actually, I bought it last year when the price came down to about $850 (brand new). This happened when Roland released their HPD-10.

I thought that the original price of about $1,200, when it first came out, was a bit too much. So, I ended up buying the much inferior Roland SPD-6 ($250 brand new) 'cause I needed mainly just the Latin percussion sounds. It was my very 1st Latin percussion instrument here in the U.S.

It didn't take long for me to outgrow the SPD-6 'cause it didn't have too many instruments. Moreover, it didn't allow any dynamics, other than volume.

But, I'm sort of glad that I waited 'cause when I bought my HPD-15, the price had been significantly reduced. On the other hand, I also like the improvements featured on the newer HPD-10 but I didn't like that it featured much fewer instruments.

Ah, decisions, decisions!

When my all-original blues/rock band hired me last January of this year, they suggested that I switch to acoustic percussion instruments for both recording and live performance purposes. I totally agreed with them.

Thus, I purchased my Isla congas, Gon Bops California Series bongos, Meinl Luis Conte brass timbales and various Latin hand percussion instruments and toys.

Now that I have all the acoustic percussion instruments that I need, I've come to prefer them much more than my HPD-15. It just can't compare to the pure sound and dynamics of acoustic instruments.

Needless to say, acoustic instruments are obviously also much easier to visually identify and distinguish from one another, unlike the instruments on the various pads of the HPD-15. With the HPD-15, there is a much greater possibility of pressing the wrong pad and producing the wrong sound to one's embarrassment.

I vacillated between selling and not selling my HPD-15. Currently, my feeling is that it has just too many features (some of whom I might need in the future) for me to sell it. So, I've been keeping it as an invaluable source of many other Latin and other-ethnic percussion instruments, sound effects and loops too many to enumerate here.

Nowadays, I bring my HPD-15 to live gigs, especially big ones, to complement my acoustic instruments. For informal jam sessions with friends, sometimes the HPD-15 is the only percussion instrument that I need to bring. And I can't complain about that.

All the best,

Edited By mjtuazon on 1183343032
109-1176549166

Previous

Return to Other instruments