Who makes the best cajon?

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby TomInVA » Fri May 06, 2005 3:08 pm

I'm looking for a good strung cajon. Unfortunately, the music stores in my area rarely have any, and certainly not a selection to compare. So I may have to order one before I can try it.

Does anybody have a recomendations?

How about Meinl?

LP sells a Cortes Cajon. Is this a good one?

Thanks for any advice.
TomInVA

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri May 06, 2005 7:14 pm

TomInva,

I don't own a cajon although I played on some; of brands only Meinl's and string cajon and LP's and a lot of home made string and no string cajon.

Frankly, home made were the best, really. I don't know why, but they all had much fatter bass and edgy tones (may be i like contrasts too much but...) Also the projection of good home made cajon can be 'yours truly' by your taste. It's pretty cheap to made and if you have fun and joy with making things out of wood and strings...

I'm asking all of you guys who made yourself a cajon one-of-a-kind, to share some wisdom,

Thank You, Groove Providers!

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby Mbalax » Sat May 07, 2005 9:55 pm

the best cajones are Ocaña.

http://www.ocanartesania.com/

Belive me.
Mbalax
Dani
Mbalax

Postby yoni » Sat May 07, 2005 9:58 pm

I have to second Gurupimpi's advice about home-made cajons. I have one made by a good friend and it sounds great. If one has interest and perseverance to try to build instruments by oneself, I think they can sound at least as good as manufactured instruments.
I have a friend who is a world-class iron sculptor; about a year ago he started making steel drums. He had one small course with a Trinidadian master, then continued on his own by trial and error (he's totally obsessed with it, actually). Having played with some super pan players in the Caribbean, I know my friend's steel pans are by now of a very high quality.
yoni

Postby yoni » Sat May 07, 2005 10:00 pm

Hmmm, would like to check out the Ocana cajon sometime.
yoni

Postby TomInVA » Tue May 10, 2005 5:55 pm

Thanks for the info, all. I noticed the Ocana site has instructions for building a cajon, too.
TomInVA

Postby gilbert » Wed May 11, 2005 11:26 am

actually i've heard some of the series made by Mario Cortes
and they're the best cajons i've ever heard
you might also check schlagwerk percussion, they've got some cool stuff
http://www.schlagwerk.de/home_e/news/news.htm
gilbert

Postby Mbalax » Tue May 17, 2005 1:21 pm

gilbert wrote:actually i've heard some of the series made by Mario Cortes

try an ocaña and you will forget others.
German Ocaña make his cajones personally for the percusionists in an artisan (handmade) way, and only uses the best woods.
This are the best cajones i ever know, forget schlagwerk´s or mario cortes´s or others mass produced cajones...
If you really want a profesional cajon dont doubt.

Edited By Mbalax on 1116892485
Dani
Mbalax

Postby gilbert » Tue May 17, 2005 5:37 pm

Mbalax wrote:
gilbert wrote:actually i've heard some of the series made by Mario Cortes

try an ocaña and you will forget others.
German Ocaña make his cajones personally for de percusionists in an artisan (handmade) way, and only uses the best woods.
This are the best cajones i ever know, forget schlagwerk´s or mario cortes´s or others mass produced cajones...
If you really want a profesional cajon dont doubt.

actually mario cortes is not a mass production company its a artisana hand made cajon
as much as for the ocana cajon i will try to check it
gilbert

Postby Ivan » Wed May 18, 2005 8:58 pm

Hey All,
I own a Cajon made by this distributer: Atiempo and I am very pleased. They are located in Peru and do make Cajones with string and the prices I feel are decent compared to mass produced distributors.

I know Meinl, a german company make a cajon now that has an on/off switch for the snare sound - just like a sanre drum would. I've seen two in person and they are nice, but like most mass produced items the quality can be a hit and miss... The two I saw one appeared to have been warped on the playing surface and the other was perfect. They have a nice cusion on the sitting surface which is nice especially if you're gonna be sitting on it for most of a gig. Check out their site Meinl Cajon

Hope that helps.
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Mbalax » Tue May 24, 2005 12:33 am

belive me gilbert, for me there is no comparation between Cortes and Ocaña way of production.
I know a little what i´m talking ;)
I dont say that Cortes are bad cajones... but the best for me are Ocaña
All talking about flamenco cajones...
bye.
Dani
Mbalax

Postby congamyk » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:32 am

I have a fat congas cajon and love it.

They have a great design, sound and a built-in seated pad for comfort. Check out these incredible sounds.

http://www.fatcongas.com
congamyk

Postby Firebrand » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:40 pm

I own two cajones, one made by Peruvian artisan, and one made by a Chilean artisan. The Chilean artisan renovated my old Peruvian cajon (and it souns better), and made me this Cajon made out of Ash wood. MY GOD...the bass on it and the snare slaps!

I second, third, and quadruple the saying that the best cajons are made by artisans, home-made, custom-made. I paid $300.00 for mine, and I use the Peruvian one for most gigs, and use the chilean special cajon for gigs in big Universities or prestigious concerts.
Firebrand

Postby congamyk » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:50 pm

Does anyone know of some good websites with patterns for cajon?
congamyk

Postby geobar » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:31 pm

The best cajon for me is the one used by pirana in the last CD of Paco de lucia, it is KONGOBASS from Mario cortes.
geobar

Next

Return to Other instruments