Tabla, Arabic Tabla... - ...(or darbuka as they like to call it...)

Use this forum to discuss about all the other percussions and/or to suggest a new specified forum to add

Postby gilbert » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:44 am

yoni wrote:Oh - Gilbert, one more question for you -

What is the best kind of darbuka you would recommend? I have Alexandria, but I hear there are companies that make them better.

Thanks,
Yonatan Bar Rashi

actually i have many darbukas and each one has its own sound
but here in lebanon we have someone who makes good ones but a little bit expensive(500$) he's called Kevork
and in egypt you have a person called Hassan Abd el Khalek i guess he's the best in business but also expensive not less than (450$)
gilbert

Postby yoni » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:00 pm

Hi Gilbert!

Thanks so much for your reply. I have friends who go to Egypt sometimes and I will see if I can have them find me a darbuka built by Hassan Abd el Khalek. Are these of metal or ceramic? I've seen a very good Egyptian one here of black heavy metal, with something like a Remo skin on it. I like the sound of the fish skin ones best and have a couple with this skin (Abu Naqfa?).

I took a big Alexandria dahola, removed the plastic skin and mounted a thin goatskin on it in the old way, over the top, and I love this drum, but it needs a light bulb inside to keep it tight in damp weather.

Thanks again for the advice and happy drumming!
Yoni
yoni

Postby gilbert » Sun May 01, 2005 11:04 pm

yoni wrote:Hi Gilbert!

Thanks so much for your reply. I have friends who go to Egypt sometimes and I will see if I can have them find me a darbuka built by Hassan Abd el Khalek. Are these of metal or ceramic? I've seen a very good Egyptian one here of black heavy metal, with something like a Remo skin on it. I like the sound of the fish skin ones best and have a couple with this skin (Abu Naqfa?).

I took a big Alexandria dahola, removed the plastic skin and mounted a thin goatskin on it in the old way, over the top, and I love this drum, but it needs a light bulb inside to keep it tight in damp weather.

Thanks again for the advice and happy drumming!
Yoni

well i like cermaic darboukas and natural skins(fish...) but they are difficult to maintain and tune so i use metallic one's
as for the dahola we're using mostly the remo doumbek which comes in 12 " and is light to carry
gilbert

Postby yoni » Thu May 05, 2005 11:24 pm

gilbert wrote:well i like cermaic darboukas and natural skins(fish...) but they are difficult to maintain and tune so i use metallic one's
as for the dahola we're using mostly the remo doumbek which comes in 12 " and is light to carry

I've seen the remo doumbek - nice and light. My biggest Alexandria dahola is VERY big and weighs a ton!
I also like the natural materials better. But I must use a light bulb inside to keep the skin tight, unless it's hamsin weather.
yoni

Postby gilbert » Fri May 06, 2005 7:31 am

yoni wrote:
gilbert wrote:well i like cermaic darboukas and natural skins(fish...) but they are difficult to maintain and tune so i use metallic one's

I've seen the remo doumbek - nice and light. My biggest Alexandria dahola is VERY big and weighs a ton!
I also like the natural materials better. But I must use a light bulb inside to keep the skin tight, unless it's hamsin weather.

light bulbs are good for the sound but it really hearts the body of the instruments if its made form ceramic or clay so you've better watch it
gilbert

Postby yoni » Sat May 07, 2005 9:28 pm

gilbert wrote:light bulbs are good for the sound but it really hearts the body of the instruments if its made form ceramic or clay so you've better watch it

I didn't know of this and never thought about this excellent advice - thanks!

So far I just use a light bulb in the metal Alexandria that I put a real skin on.
But I want to get a ceramic dahola soon. If I do, I'll definitely be careful with the light bulb.
yoni

Postby Tablaji71 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:25 am

timo wrote:its the most advanced drum in any way, as are most indian istruments, tunable to the slightes change it note. i think Giovanni uses a weird interpretation of the Tablashufle (DireDire), and he does it like an manoteo movement on conga while on the tabla its back and forth on the edges of the hand.
the thing with the times is that in Tabla there are no time signatures ! it works in cyclic form, there is a certain amount beats repeated in a cycle, for example the Dhamaar Theka is one of the hardest to play: it is

X 2 0 3
Ka dhe te dhe te / Dha - / ga te te / te te ta -

(X= sam the first stroke ond the most imprtant for it keeps the beat, so other players know where in the cycle you are playing, 2,3 are the talis and 0 is the khali)

and has a cycle of 14 beats divided into four sections each section has different amount of beats
5/ 2/ 3/ 4/ so if thinking in western standards the time signature changes every bar... which would get pretty confusing after a while. but since the bols (cylcle of beats) are learned by heart phonetically it becomes easier,( but you have to stop thinking in time signatures and bars), then when you know it well enough you can start improvising (but still keeping the basic amount of beats the same). though it is extremely hard to explain all the wonderfull traits of the Tabla, i tried ( and i suggest you go to a teacher if you really want to learn).

the Arabic Tabla (or darbuka) has some of the same traits, it also uses phonetical syllables for each hit, and also (sometimes) doesnt use time signatures (at least if you go to the original plyers. (of whom most cant even read music), but it has been incorperated into "western music" with all the traits.
but this is a different world and is very hard to explain, and would take far too long.

variation for Dhammar tal 14 matras (rhythm orig. from pakhawaj)
division: 5+2+3+4 this are variation Prakar (the division don't change)
x) kat dhi te dhi te
2) dha -
0) ga ti te
3) tite kata gadi gina
or
x) kat dhi te dhi te
2) dha -
0) ga ti te
3) tite dha nadha -na
or
x) kat dhi te dhi te
2) dha -