Suggestion for new forum

It's only thanks to your help if we can improve our web-site so ... leave a message here!

Suggestion for new forum

Postby Light Seeker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 pm

Some public forum admins offer one unmoderated forum where people can have virtually unrestrained freedom of speech (although obviously if people violate laws or the website's terms of service, that is still unacceptable). So many times certain people here have complained of a lack of free speech (though not me, I've never had any such problem), so what if there was one forum where people could openly discuss politics, religion, or anything else that often results in heated arguments? It would be an "enter at your own risk" sort of deal. Also, it would be self-moderated, where if anybody did violate laws or website rules (like posting nude photos of children, for an extreme example), we the community could report them to an admin here and further action could be taken. Does anybody else think this is a good idea?
Light Seeker

Re: Suggestion for new forum

Postby KING CONGA » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:13 pm

I’m certain that if you look you will no doubt find such forums on the web, forums that discus such issues. I don't personally feel this is the right forum for those types of discussions so I would have to disagree, I am not saying that those issues are not important but let's keep this forum within its context, use it for what it's intended to be used for, to share and gain general knowledge of the wonderful instrument called the conga drum. Blessings.
KING CONGA

Postby bongosnotbombs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:53 pm

I feel having a forum like that on congaplace would more likely distance and alienate members
from each other than anything else.
bongosnotbombs

Postby Derbeno » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:52 pm

There are plenty forums dealing with a myriad of controversial issues and it generally turns nasty, abusive and personal if not amusing at times.

We can easily go to these when we fancy a distraction, otherwise I propose we keep this one dedicated to our passion.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby umannyt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 am

Light Seeker,

Personally, I'm open to and have no fear about such an unmoderated (or self-moderated) forum--as long as discussions are done rationally/logically, kept within the issues and personal ("ad hominem") attacks are strictly avoided. In other words, no drama.

Let's face it: Inspite of the fact that this forum is a moderated one, we've not been always able to keep our discussions strictly within the subject of congas, bongos, timbales and other percussion instruments, including some of those who themselves have been adamant about keeping discussions within these subjects. In the past, we've had on certain occasions, whether unintentionally or not, veered away into other peripheral subjects.

Sadly, it's very difficult, even impossible, for some to maintain a rational/logical discussion and without resorting to "ad hominem" attacks. IMO, this is the real cause of discussions becoming haywire, deteriorating into demagoguery and/or going on and on ("ad infinitum"). Why? Because one has to first rebut and clean up all "ad hominem" attacks and thereafter try to re-direct the discussion back to a rational/logical one. This can be a frustrating process, particularly if the other party is either unable to see or refuses to acknowledge the irrationality of his/her response(s).

It is interesting to note that there seems to be a great reluctance, even a kneejerk prejudice (an anti-intellectual attitude), against discussions about religion and politics. Yet, the fact of the matter is, as some of us are already aware, historically both religion and politics have significantly influenced the invention and evolution of congas and other percussion instruments, particularly in African and Latin American countries. Not only were these percussion instruments used as tools of social and cultural communication, some of them were essential instruments in conducting various sacred rites (religion) and, unfortunately, warfare (politics).

IMO, this reluctance or kneejerk prejudice, denies some of us the benefit of gaining important historical information and education--again, if only discussions covering both religion and politics are pursued in a strictly rational/logical fashion.

Now, someone might ask what objective parameters are there to determine whether one's response is logical or not? Answer: The Rules of Syllogism from the Art and Science of Logic.

On a personal note, contrary to the impression of some, I didn't temporarily leave/unsubscribe (which, by the way, I did only once) from this forum for the shallow reason that someone simply disagreed with me. On the contrary, I welcome disagreements and rebuttals--again if done rationally/logically and without "ad hominem" attacks. In fact, as some may have already observed, I love engaging in healthy discussions, even if they sometimes become spirited.

The real reason I left was because a moderator himself was guilty of an "ad hominem" attack by including a personally insulting photo (which was totally unnecessary and uncalled for and had nothing to do with the issue then at hand) in his last response prior to the thread being locked. To me, it was not only unacceptable but also childish and scandalous.

Moderators, by default, are put on a higher standard and expectation to have the inner fortitude, self-restraint and integrity to be above making such "ad hominem" attacks. In other words, they're not only expected to practice what is preached (forum rules), but are to be the first ones to set the good example.

But then, after a period of cooling down, I decided to re-subscribe to this forum and was graciously re-admitted.

My thoughts,
umannyt

Postby JConga » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:50 pm

IMHO this forum is just fine. Yes we have had our moments here but overall this is one of the BEST sites on the web....I do believe their is no other site even close to this one in information and camaraderie.....my 3 congas...JOHNNY CONGA
JConga

Postby umannyt » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 pm

JConga wrote:IMHO this forum is just fine. Yes we have had our moments here but overall this is one of the BEST sites on the web....I do believe their is no other site even close to this one in information and camaraderie.....my 3 congas...JOHNNY CONGA

I agree. Nothing and no one is perfect.
umannyt

Return to Comments and Suggestions