Chrome Plating

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Chrome Plating

Postby Juaort » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:40 pm

Just wondering…..Does anyone have any contact on a Chrome Plating Shop here in the states? One that doesn’t break the bank and it’s pretty affordable?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Juaort
Juaort

Re: Chrome Plating

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:27 pm

Hello.

I've got no idea, obviously, but chroming is expensive everywhere. I got following tip from a local iron worker here, and I believe also from Pete Lugo (former JCR's co-worker) :
brush the steel parts with a wire brush (on a drill), and then possibly apply polishing paste(s) and it will look as nice as if it had meen chromed. The local iron worker I mentionned made 8 bongó lugs for me using this method. I'll try to upload a picture, when I know how it works (the uploading side I used to use is now out of order).
Chtimulato

Postby jorge » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:08 pm

Chrome plating is not only expensive but occupationally and environmentally hazardous. Chromium, in its 6 valence form, is a known human carcinogen, although other forms of chromium (eg chromium 3) can possibly convert to that form in the body. Chromium salts also can cause severe respiratory irritation and allergic asthma and dermatitis. Chromium salt contamination of water has caused many environmental and financial problems near old chromium plating and tanning facilities. So chromium plating is being phased out in industry, that is one reason it has become much more expensive. It doesn't prevent rusting all that well anyway, most of my old chrome plated steel conga hardware is showing signs of rust breaking through (admittedly after 20 - 40 years). The old black ox finished hardware on a couple of my Skin on Skin drums has also started to rust. I have been wire brushing the rust off then spray painting the lug plates, rim and hoops with black Rustoleum black truck bed coating anti-rust paint to try to protect the steel parts. So far so good after about a year, hit me up in 10 years and I will give you a medium term report. Just wire brushing steel parts works great temporarily but if you live in a humid environment they will rust pretty quickly once they are stripped of protective coating. If black goes with your wood color, I would recommend considering painting the hardware instead of re-chroming it. Some artisans are now making stainless steel conga hardware, you can consider that as well. I haven't tried Rustoleum clear spray anti-rust paint, but that may be a good option if you want to keep the silvery steel color. I did not paint the lugs, just wipe them occasionally with some oil and wipe off as much as I can so my pants don't get stained. A lot of drummers cover their laps and pants with a cloth or towel, but I just wipe off the blackened oil from the threads every few gigs.
jorge

Postby Juaort » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks for the Info here Guys. Much appreciated. I was curious because I have a set of Bongo Hardware that’s rusting out pretty good and I wanted to get them redone. Below is a quote I received from a Chrome Shop here in the US. To both your points, it’s Freaking expensive.

Chrome shop quote:
Hi Juan,
1. guessing at the size about 250.00 for top ring and about 200.00 for bottom ring.
2. next size about 225.00 for top ring and the smaller one about 175.00.
3. The hooks about 65.00 each for 8.
Turn time now is about 12 weeks, let me know if you have any other questions,
thanks Bill.

It’s insane. Quotes: #1 is for the Hembra Rims and #2 is for the Macho Rims. All in would be $1,370!!!! I’ll learn to live with the Rust.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby jorge » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:33 pm

I did suggest practical and much much less expensive alternatives in my post yesterday that avoid the problems of rust stains on your pants and repeatedly having to take the rims and lugs off to remove rust. What do you think about those suggestions?
jorge

Postby Juaort » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Hey Jorge. Yes, your suggestions were solid and well received. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll definitely adapt these. It’s weird cause the rims are ok in some areas but in others the chrome is chipping away. I had shells made for them, not thinking that it would cost an arm and a leg to get them done. But it’s all good.

I’ll look at your suggestions. I’ll see which one works best.
Juaort

Return to Open Discussion