tearing a skin - location of tear

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

tearing a skin - location of tear

Postby Greensail » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:09 am

So a few weeks ago, I was setting up at a gig. It was outside and pretty humid. I had set up my drums about 30" earlier and let them sit for a while to adjust. Of course, they were pretty flat due to the humid conditions. As I was tuning the conga, still well below where I would normally tune, the skin tore. The head was a quality cow skin, probably about 2.5 to 3mm thick. The tear was at the bottom of the ring so the rim basically pulled the ring down through the skin at the crease around the bottom of the ring. The tear was about 5" long. I have never torn a head before but never heard about a tear in that location. Is that common or is it atypical? Anyone experience a tear like this?

On a positive, it is now replaced with a dark steer skin from Manito. Still not broken in but it is already fantastic. All my future heads will come from there. Swen was fantastic to deal with.
Greensail

Re: tearing a skin - location of tear

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Greensail. I wonder if there was an imperfection on that skin that eventually just gave out. I just recently changed the skins on my LP Classics. Those skins were on there since 1988. I tuned them in the cold and in the crazy humid NYC summer weather. Never had any issues. It actually hurt to switch them out this past January for some New Dark Manito Steers. The Manito do sound super sweet.

Juaort
Juaort

Postby Greensail » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:03 am

I had that same suspicion Juaort, I couldn't see why it would tear at that spot. It was certainly not tuned high when it tore. or... it may have been a small tear that I didn't notice until it extended to the point the ring pulled through. The head was only about 6 years old and it was a really nice skin. Thanks for your insight. But again, there is always the rainbow in the cloud, I got me a new Manito steer.
Greensail

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Greensail, would you please post a pic of your torn skin so we (me at least) can figure it out ?
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 am

20191124_095811.jpg
what you think? Ever see a tear at this location?
Attachments
20191124_095757.jpg
Greensail

Postby Chtimulato » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:56 pm

No, not at this place, it is rather strange indeed.
I've seen some above, but not under.
Chtimulato

Return to Open Discussion