Hi! Just signed up so here is a little introduction.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: Hi! Just signed up so here is a little introduction.

Postby oldNewConga » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi Chtimulato, I have the 40th anniversary model giovannis - the rainbow coloured ones - different to the standard lp giovannis. I don't think these ones are made with ash, but I am normally wrong!
oldNewConga

Postby Juaort » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:31 am

ONC, those LP Gio Congas you have are sweet! Always liked them. Hard to come by. I would hold on to those.
Juaort

Postby oldNewConga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Thank you Juoart! Yes I do like them. I would almost prefer a second conga with the same finish as a third drum, even though I suspect the ash ones that are widely available sound a little bit better!
oldNewConga

Postby Chtimulato » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:53 pm

I think you're right, ONC/NOC. My bad.
Re: the ash ones, they have a very good projection. To me at any case.
I can play them with my band without miking, and they can be heard on every recording, which was not the case with my former ones.
Chtimulato

Postby oldNewConga » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Chtimulato, I think I will most likely end up with one of the ash ones fairly soon. It will be interesting to me to make the comparison. I'll probably swap the heads around at some point to get a sense of the differences (I know this won't ever be really scientifically rigorous but will be interesting none the less!)
oldNewConga

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:35 pm

Hello.
I think the skins are the same, either on the 40th birthday edition or the Galaxy Giovannis : stock LP skins, which many of us (me included) don't like. Lots of people will advise you to change them and buy some new ones.
The problem is that putting a new skin on a drum fitted with a comfort curve rim is said to be rather difficult. I never did it, and plan to change mine once I get the traditional crowns I ordered.
Since you're located in the UK, you'd better find some expert there who could help you mounting them.
If you can spend "a little more" money and can afford shipping costs, Manito Percussion (located in the USA) can provide you premounted conga skins, to the measurements you request :
https://manitopercussion.com/

Here's the direct link to the skins page :
https://manitopercussion.com/

Their skins' quality is renowned, you can't go wrong with them.
Chtimulato

Postby oldNewConga » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi Chtimulato, thanks for that link I will look into it. I have put new heads on bongoes and figured out how to do it fine, but I will take the advice of experts if they are saying that the comfort curve rims are harder to deal with. I know of Natal congas in the UK (they always sounded great) but having been out of the game for a while I don't know of either conga drum makers or head suppliers in the UK. I will look into thanks.
oldNewConga

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:19 pm

There is also Takt Percussion in Sweden. You can search for it on Facebook, I don't know if they have a web site. But swedish leather is said to be the best in the world (no barbed wire, and ecological treatment all along, from the animal's birth to the skin processing). They even sell skins to Moperc in Canada, which is a reference. And the price is decent for that quality. But I'm pretty sure you could find some decent skins in the UK too if you make a little research.
Chtimulato

Postby Chtimulato » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 pm

BTW, Natal drums still exist, and belong now to Marshall.
https://marshall.com/natal-drums/products/percussion
Chtimulato

Postby Greensail » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 pm

welcome oldnewconga, Yes, I think the forum does not have the #'s of close followers it did in years past but.....there truly is a wealth of information. I've been here about 5-6 years and its almost taken me that long to wade through all the posts. I suspect the answer to most any question you may have can be found here.
I've tucked heads on traditional and comfort curve rims. Its always like wrestling an alligator but I've not found one particularly more difficult than the other. If your skin is a little on the small side, the a comfort curve would likely be a bit more difficult.
Greensail

Postby Greensail » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:36 pm

welcome oldnewconga, Yes, I think the forum does not have the #'s of close followers it did in years past but.....there truly is a wealth of information. I've been here about 5-6 years and its almost taken me that long to wade through all the posts. I suspect the answer to most any question you may have can be found here.
I've tucked heads on traditional and comfort curve rims. Its always like wrestling an alligator but I've not found one particularly more difficult than the other. If your skin is a little on the small side, the a comfort curve would likely be a bit more difficult.
Greensail

Postby oldNewConga » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks for the takt percussion tip, I will look into them too. Certainly they are a bit closer than manito. I will look for any UK head manufacturers too. Having looked around the web a bit I think I should put some better heads on these drums.

I play sat down and I am going to experiment with taking the bolts for the stand mounting plate out of the shell over the next few days. There is a video on youtube where somebody demonstrates the improvement in tone quality when placing one of these under a conga flat on the floor (to allow air to move in and out of the drum): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... 57UO&psc=1

Allowing some air to leave the drum near the head could easily reduce overtones. I wonder if any manufacturer has experimented with vent holes in the dhell for drums that sit on the floor? It seems a bit of a no-brainer. Traditionally it didn't matter as everybody played one drum and tilted it. I suppose tumbas tend to sound fine anyway seated on teh floor directly. I'll see.

Greensail - yes there does seem to be a ton of great information here. I am having a great time reading back over old posts!
oldNewConga

Previous

Return to Open Discussion