Meinl Floatune system

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Meinl Floatune system

Postby closedslap » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:40 pm

hi, by way of an introduction, I have been learning about drumming and African music for several years now, having started with a djembe. More recently I've got interested in Afro-Cuban music and bought two Meinl congas, an 11 3/4 conga and 11" quinto. These are not floatune drums, but I was wondering whether to buy a floatune Nino (10"). I've been googling but there seems to be little info about this system and I found no reviews. So I thought I'd join up here and ask... So - do you use these drums? What's the general view about the floatune system, please? Does it sound better? etc.
Thanks!
closedslap

Re: Meinl Floatune system

Postby Derbeno » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 am

Sound good but very heavy. I would recommend Woodcraft, sound just as good not so heavy. Superior sound and build quality to LP classics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeB5fgtU9Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYmF4cgBEA
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby closedslap » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:31 pm

thanks @Derbeno, I'll bear that in mind. I'm still learning about tuning and read a few times on the net that for 3 drums, G (tumba), middle C (segundo) and E (quinto) are good. I noticed on one of your youtubes that his lowest drum was a G# above middle C ( I think). Is it ok to crank up the tension like this? Does it shorten the life of the skin a lot? I'd be nervous to tune up to these levels! I've typically been doing D for my segundo and F# for quinto.
closedslap

Postby Derbeno » Tue May 22, 2018 7:57 am

Not too much science to the my tuning. I tune so that the various rhythms sound just right in terms of tone separation. How I would tune for folkloric would not be how I would tune for Salsa in an orchestra or a Rumba. With time as you get to know the feel of the rhythms it will come naturally. Compared to many other drums, Conga is about the melody. In terms of the quinto there is no issue cranking it up as a good quality drum has the hardware for this. I personally leave it cranked up unless it gets out of the home in a warm car or humid atmosphere.
Echale candela, p'afinar los cueros
Derbeno

Postby closedslap » Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

Thanks @Derbeno, interesting.
closedslap

Return to Open Discussion