What happened?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Re: What happened?

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 pm

I have been here for 11 years , thousands of posts"literally" and I do my best to try and put something on the board to draw interest...and sometimes there is just nothing new to post..we have covered so much here in the past 12 years it should be put into a book of some kind for everyone to read...but that would be a job into itself for sure...with new people here come new life...and that's good...I would also say that maybe CONGAMAN needs to 'UPGRADE this site ,....to be more physically pleasing to the eye as well...and maybe some other kind of tweaks...just an idea to throw out there...any others??...HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO THE CONGAPLACE MEMBERS!...PEACE AND RUMBA!...JC
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaMan » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Yeah 12 years JC !!!
I still remember the day when I put on-line this forum and i met You when You joined for the first time ... that was my lucky day! During this long period You and all the other "historical" members have been the engine of this forum which is now, I believe, one of the biggest archive of knowledge for congas and percussions on the web...

I don't know if this will help but two month ago I started to work to upgrade the entire CongaPlace site including the forum and myCongaPlace community ... it's a very hard job and I'm alone as usual but I hope to publish the new site early next year.

The idea to make a book out of the archive is great but i would need people to collaborate with me to do it... That could also be a good opportunity to re-organized the entire forum as well.

By the way we are not dead yet! If the web analyzer says the truth we have an average of 4.600 people consulting the forum every day. It means that most of the people come here just to look at the topic but they do not subscribe and/or partecipate.

If You want to have a look at what I'm doing this is the address of the new home page but there are still many things to change and sometime it could not work properly because it's under construction and test continously..
http://www.mycongaplace.com/cp/

I'm using the new responsive technology... the site graphic is nothing really special but it will be visible on every device (PC, Tablet, smartphones). The open slider will be completely changed.

Thanks you all for now and let's keep in touch ...
ALL THE BEST TO CONGAPLACE MEMBERS!!!
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby blavonski » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Hello Congaman,
In my opinion you've done a great job managing and administering this Forum! And the site interface and design is simple and easy to navigate. And it's at end the content that matters most. Times change and with technology, things have and will continue to become more superficial with people requiring ever more imediate gratification in regards to what is percieved as communication.
I'm greatful for the experience and information that the long term users have shared here. In the absence of an active, Afrocuban drum Culture where I am, being able to Leaf through the multitude of archive posts here has definately supported my just over two year initiation and now passion with Afrocuban drumming, namely Bongó and most recently Congas. It has also offered some stimulating and intelligent exchanges on various topics that pertain to the theme of the Forum as well as Music in general.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Last edited by blavonski on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby CongaMan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi blavonski,
Thanks very much for your post I really appreciate Your comment!
By the way Berlin is a city where I want to come absolutely as soon as I can organize an holiday trip... i don't speak german but all my three children do so I will bring them with me... in case i'll get in touch with You ... may be we can have a jam together..

All the best,
CongaMan
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby blavonski » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm

Hello Congaman,
sounds good!
Just PM me when your going to be here and we'll see if we can get together.

Good Vibrations,
Blavonski
Good Vibrations,
Mr. Blavonski
blavonski

Postby Hawker » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 am

11am wrote:Well my 2 cents is this: It's a comfortable place to check in and browse. What's wrong with that? Facebook is Facebook, and i'm on that a lot, but, it doesn't have anything to do with this forum. The congas are a different kind of instrument and discipline. For the longest time, it was fairly secretive in it's essence, and you had to seek it out. it's cultist in a lot or respects, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, in and of itself, it's just prohibitive in nature sometimes. This is an instrument you learn to play from watching and listening, closely. There's a lot of video out there that never existed in the 60's and 70's, and there is not much to say in the way of words to describe hand positions and attacks? There is an abundance of threads from very knowledgeable people that made it their business to archive the history of the masters and seminal players thruout the music's history. The information is here, it does not change. Most of the masters of my generation are dead. ( I'm 60) That's reported here as well. Professional Music in general is a small field, and Congas are not used in 3/4 of it. And there are a handful of younger, great, improvisational players and a ton of traditionalists that are always at odds about how , what ,and who should be playing the instrument. That's unique to congas, that argument. So, it kinda goes with the territory. Years ago, I used to subscribe to The Modern Drummer magazine. It gets old fast. Congas are wooden barrels with skins stretched over the tops. It doesn't get much more technical than that. I just like knowing that there are a small group of people here that have been captivated by the instrument, and still carry on the tradition. I'm good with this forum as is. Our instrument is folkloric in nature, and traditional in application. It's an old school instrument, not a new one. The forum isn't to blame. The limitations of our instrument might be closer to the truth. You don't talk congas, you play congas.

I think there is a lot of truth in this post. I've been a member of three drum forums for well over a decade and they are not becoming less active, but growing.
However, as stated above, drums (drum sets) are used in almost every kind of music that is popular, congas are not. Also, every year there are hundreds of new drumming accessories that are introduced in addition to a constant additions and updates to drums and cymbals. All of that leads to a lot of discussion that just doesn't happen here. That said, I much prefer this format over FB even though I use FB often. I am no longer playing hand drums due to two surgeries for trigger finger in the last five years, but I do appreciate all the help and input I have received here. Happy New Year!
Hawker

Postby Hawker » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Without a doubt some other social media may be having impact here but I'm on several other drum forums and each is as active as they have ever been.
One big difference might be that a huge amount of postings on drum forums is about equipment; brands, vintage gear, latest prices, what other drummers use, swapping heads and cymbals, hardware issues, etc. You don't really see that to as great an extent here.
Hawker

Previous

Return to Open Discussion