Drum Restoration - How to strip chrome from hoops?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Drum Restoration - How to strip chrome from hoops?

Postby COL66 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Hey guys, so I have some 1990s LP Classics. Like all old LP rims, the gold-tone chrome plating is pealing. Does anyone know of a do-it-yourself way to fully peal off that chrome? thanks!
Last edited by COL66 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COL66

Re: Drum Restoration - How to strip chrome from hoops?

Postby Thebreeze » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 am

To do it right, I would do this... Some time ago I had a Gon Bops Quinto that had bad hardware on it and a friend of mine had a " Bead Blaster " where he worked so he blasted the side brackets and rim for me and it turned out a nice " Gun Metal Gray". You can always spray a couple of coats of verithane to keep rust from ever forming, although I did not put any protective coating on my Gon Bops and I did not have any problems with rust, just keep it nice and dry and clean.

Here is a picture of that Gon Bops.......

Thebreeze

Postby skinslapper » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:34 pm

I've used steel wool and after all the chroom was gone i've polished the rim .
The polishing was the most work but it looked good .

It was for a friend who sold the conga a few years ago so i don't have pictures .
skinslapper

Postby Jaisen Torres » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 am

will you never showed me this quinto , as always a perfectionist , you the man !!! good , very good job....
Jaisen.
Jaisen Torres

Postby Thebreeze » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 am

This picture is 8 years old Jaisen. Thanks for the compliments. Back then I sold it to a good friend for ........150 dollars.
Thebreeze

Postby COL66 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:20 am

okay guys, there is my follow-up. I went online and read websites that recommended all sorts of crap to remove rusted chrome. Some suggested alcohol, others bleach, others oven cleaner, etc. NOTHING WORKED! So i decided to bust out a piece of #60 grit sand paper and went to work! They came out awesome! I decided not to used finer grit sand paper, since I really liked the industrial look that the 60 grit left. Here are the before and after pics
Last edited by COL66 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
COL66

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:59 am

that's cool.... especially that the side plates and lugs worked out as well.

How long did it take you? I have some LP's with gold hardware that I loath, did you try an orbital sander? Probably want to wear a mask with an orbital, I expect it would kick up a lot of metal dust and who know's whats in the gold chrome.

RR
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby RitmoBoricua » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:34 am

Polished metal look, not bad.
RitmoBoricua

Postby skinslapper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:18 pm

RR Nice, i like that look 2 !!

Good job !
skinslapper

Postby COL66 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 pm

thanks guys! took me about 3 hours to do one drum. I used the orbital sander for a little, but it doesn't leave the metal looking nice, so I preferred to strip the top layer with the sander, then do the rest by hand. The trick was to always sand in straight lines (back and forth, NOT in circles), so that the metal looks nice and polished.

I ran out of sand paper, so I'll be doing the other drum soon. I think it should take me less time now that I actually know what i'm doing.

I'm tempted to re finish the wood, but I refinished a set about 6 months ago, and it was a tonnnn of work... i'll have to wait until i'm really, really, motivated!
COL66

Postby skinslapper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

You can also sandblast them .That will go much faster and will give a nice result .
skinslapper

Postby rhythmrhyme » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 pm

skinslapper wrote:You can also sandblast them .That will go much faster and will give a nice result .

I just called a local chrome shop, the guy told me over the phone that he's blast down my 4 gold giovanni hoops and side plates for around $100... may give this some thought.

Then I went and looked at all the bolts etc I'd need to take apart and began wondering how much I actually dislike gold hardware vs. how f**k'n lazy I am and if I want to pull the drums apart. We'll see :D I'm thinking that for another $50 they shop guys would probably do a quick polish on the hardware as well.
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana
rhythmrhyme

Postby skinslapper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Hallo RR you might wanna check if you can find a "do it yourself sandblaster" .

We have them overhere and its cheaper .
You have to buy the "sand" and rent the booth !
Use a fine grit you don't have to polish !

If your not to lazy afcourse ........

And i agree , gold hardware sucks ... :mrgreen:
skinslapper

Postby skinslapper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 pm

How to remove Chrome the right way .... :mrgreen:

0 1
Put on proper safety gear such as respirator, splash goggles and protective gloves. Pour either acetone, ammonia or bleach into the large metal bowl or pot. Only use one of these chemicals; do not mix them.
o 2
Submerge the object from which you wish to remove the chrome in the the chemical. Cover the container with aluminum foil to keep the fumes contained. Allow it to soak for at least two hours
o 3
Remove object from the chemicals. Dip a toothbrush into the acetone, ammonia or bleach.
o 4
Brush the surface of the object vigorously with the toothbrush. Continue dipping and scrubbing with the toothbrush until the plating comes completely off.
o 5
whipe the stripped steel with a clean rag
skinslapper

Postby COL66 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 am

brother skinslapper,

tried bleach, tried ammonia, tried oven cleaner, tried isopropyl alcohol. NONE of it worked!
i experimented by putting small side plates in different ziplock bags, then filling them/covering them with a different one of the above chemicals then left it overnight in the bag. the next day I scrubbed with a really hard brush...
some of the chemicals were good at removing the rust/stains, and some of chemicals turned the plating very dark... but none of them pealed off the golden tone.
i'm sure the sand blaster would be the best way to do it, but I don't have one, and the estimate to have someone do it professionally was $150. i'm poor! :(
i did it myself for $6.00 in sandpaper and a $3.00 facemask. it was a lot of work, tho. took me 3 hrs to do the quinto, almost 4 to do the conga.
i have the drums in front of me... I still cant believe they are the same ugly drums I had not too long ago 8)
COL66

Next

Return to Open Discussion